check levels, keep a journal

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Sep 30, 2013.

1. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    I have a fishing journal that goes back several years. It's actually a few notebooks worth now. A few years ago I stopped recording every trip just because a lot of things were sort of repetitive. Entries since then have only been for new locations, places I don't fish often, unique days, or banner days.
    One of the most useful pieces of info I have in my journal is river flows and notes on how a river looks and fishes at a given CFS. Valuable stuff at a time like this when I'm waiting for the rivers to drop into fishable shape.
    I had a very successful trip for silvers one day last October on a river that was barely getting into shape. Nobody else was there and the coho were going nuts. I checked the USGS flows this morning and then looked in my journal to see what flow I'm looking for. I DIDN'T ENTER THAT DAY IN MY JOURNAL! I was there at the exact time when the river became fishable and I don't know what the flows were. Now I'm digging through previous days and old journals trying to get an idea of when it's time to go but I really want to know that one day's flow.
    Keep a journal and use it!
  2. DoSer I smell Cheese

Errg... Denver
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Did you take any pics that day that you can get the date off of? Or did you stop at a gas station or make any purchases that you can look at a statement to get the date off of? I totally agree with the journal idea, and have recently started keeping one, though mine is in an excel spreadsheet.

Rob
  3. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Good call. I was able to dig around and I'm pretty sure I found the date, then looked up the old USGS info. Thanks.
  4. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    Journals are fun. I have kept one off and on over the past 15 years. It is great to remember good times on the water. Unfortunately, I lost most of my journals in excel when my then 10 year old son fried one of my laptops by trying to hook a data cable into it. Now my journal is backed up on skydrive. Very good at remembering the conditoins of rivers at different levels. I have been gear fishing the puyallup and carbon rivers this season. I am sure the info will help me next year when trying to decide what sections are wade able at various water levels.
  5. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +582 / 0
    Have you logged how many times you have had cup noodles for breakfast?
  6. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    I went to the river in question today. It was lower than the day I was thinking of last year, but with changes in the basin, the water still had enough color for good coho fishing. In two hours of fishing I landed 7 silvers, keeping the brightest ones for a limit. There were a few other guys on the river, but they were all down around the corner fishing other pools.
  7. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Sounds like "lights out" coho fishing. Don't tell Smalma.