Cheeky fly reels??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Brittin Johnson, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Chris Brittin Johnson Fly Flinging Fanatic

Rochester WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Anyone have any input on the quality of the Cheeky fly reels?
  2. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,256 / 0
    Just say no!! I know the thong says yes, but....
  3. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    The thong says much more than yes...

Why no? Have you had bad experiences? A friend of mine is related to one of the guys involved with Cheeky and I keep hoping I can get him to get me a hook up.

J
  4. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    For the money, I would be inclined to look at the Waterworks Lamson Guru or Litespeed. My thought is that it's a higher quality reel and manufactured/machined in the USA with warranty. Plus, it's well built and you'll probably never have to use the warranty. One of my two favorite reel manufacturers.
    Cheers,
    Ed
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Maybe just bad hype, but I haven't heard anything positive. The drake is full of bad reviews, but it IS the drake. I would go Allen before cheeky anyday.
    Evan Burck likes this.
  6. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    I've really been digging Lamsons stuff lately, from a hands on perspective. I am in the market for a new reel, and I think my next will be an Allen.
  7. Chris Brittin Johnson Fly Flinging Fanatic

Rochester WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I'm a big Lamson guy myself. I just happen to see the reels in a few photos and was intrigued. My litespeed is by far the best reel I have ever owned.
  8. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    WWL reels are just super reliable. I'm not into the Korea/China thing especially at $150+. An extra C-note and you have a reel that will last a lifetime. QC is night and day. I'll go with made in the USA all day long.
    Ed
  9. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +253 / 0
    Everything Korean-made I've owned has been great. Everyone acts like Korea equals sweat shops, but Wikipedia just told me they have the 26th ($31,950) highest GDP per capita in the world, higher than the EU. The USA is 6th ($51,704) on that list, and China 93rd ($9,055), by the way.
    Nooksack Mac likes this.
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,616 / 2
    Allen is releasing ourfirst USA made reel here soon. I think it's important to keep as much of that at home as possible. That said, I've had three reels fail on me in my fly fishing career, all were USA made. My imported reels have all been flawless, performance-wise.

I'll also say that a lot of what people think are USA made actually aren't. There's some very creative marketing going on that is a bit misleading.
  11. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    I'll go thumbs up on the Allen reels. I have three of them. I never heard of a Cheeky reel. Are you pulling my leg on this one ??
  12. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0

You're right Evan, like some cars, reels, TV's, appliances, etc (assembled in USA - but parts made in foreign countries). "Yep! 'Made' right here in the US!"

To say "misleading" is an understatement sometimes... :D
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,616 / 2
    Just being in the industry, and in the name of remaining professional... it's so hard for me to bite my tongue sometimes when I see people recommend certain products based on their being "made in the USA!"

There's actually a company that says right on their product "made in the USA." Let's say one of my colleagues saw these products ready for shipment from a Chinese factory one time. Yet, you look online, and everyone is raving about this company's made in USA status.

That said, there really are some fantastic reels that ARE made in the USA. There's also some poopy ones. There's also fantastic imported reels, and some not so good ones.
    Porter and Kaiserman like this.
  14. cnnorgil New Member

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I have the 425 on my spey rod and I love it!
    Chris Brittin Johnson likes this.
  15. nailbender Active Member

Ratings: +33 / 0
    All of this made me curious about where Lamson reels are made. Well I went to the website under FAQ and they very carefully do not say their reels are "MADE IN USA". So I went and looked at the one I own, an older velocity (great reel) nowhere on it could I find "made in usa" I found the box and paperwork for the reel no mention of where it is made anywhere on this either. So I looked at several of my other reels and all of them said made in usa on the reel foot or simply usa on the back of the the reel in plain sight. Seems to me Lamson would be proud enough to mark "made in usa" on their reels also if they legally could.

Doug
  16. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +508 / 0
  17. CLO coho where are you?

Seattle
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    I personally feel that Cheeky and Lamson are ugly reels. That being said I wouldn't worry about the South Korean manufacturing as many excellent reels come from Korea. If you think they look good, then I would buy one and not worry about it.