Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chironomid Swap 16 or smaller Spring 2011

Swap 
7K views 62 replies 14 participants last post by  Irafly 
#1 ·
Closed ! Chironomid Swap 16 or smaller Spring 2011 Closed!

Now that I have finished with the Winter Lake swap and slobbered all over some of the chironomid patterns, it is time for me to host a Spring chironomid swap. Now as a tied in the wool indicator watcher I'm not at a loss for patterns or bugs but for the most part I tie most of mine in size 14 and 12 so I'd like to fill in my size 16 and smaller slots so all these bugs for this slot need to fit into that category.

If there is an overwhelming response, I will host 2 or if there is a huge response for over size 16 I'll host an over 16 swap as well.

Due by February 24th so everyone can fish them on the March 1st opener.
Everyone ties 2 of the same bug for a total of 26 bugs.
Limited to 14 tiers. GET TYING Please remembert to tag your flies and send a self addressed envelope either prestamped or you can send some other form payment. Luckily I was only out like two bucks the last swap but someone sent me a couple extra flies so that made up for it.
Send to:
Irafly
5117 View Dr.
Everett, Wa 98203

1. Irafly DONE!
2. troutpocket DONE!
3. Ron McNeal DONE!
4. fishingcheftim DONE!
5. nailbender DONE!
6. kenfishbum DONE!
7. Trevor Thorp DONE!
8. JMitchell DONE!
9. yellowlab DONE!
10. Baitfish DONE!
11. Chef
12. mrcoachman DONE!
13. Troutrageous
14. willburrrr2003 DONE!

See less See more
#13 ·
I would like in if there is still a slot open :) Only thing I have tied so far are bloodworms. I have talked with Scottflycst a bit on them, and have an I idea I want to tie. I want a mostly clear body with a sparse underlying colors kind of like this

View attachment 38671

the head will have red flash under the clear.

#17 ·
It is now officially closed instructions are in your PMs and at the beginning. The 24th also happens to be my B-Day in case you want to throw in an extra bug :) No pressure though.

Ira..

Oh I'm also going to host a no holds barred Chironomid swap as well where I plan to tie a size 8 or 10 bomber for BC lakes. So Keep your eyes open.

Ira..

#18 ·
Pounded these babies out with the game on the background. This is an effective pattern which fishes well in 90% of the lakes I've fished here and in BC. They look simple but each one takes 5 different sets of materials, hope to receive some good patterns in exchange. Thanks Ira for setting this up!

#20 ·
Those look killer, not simple they look exactly like throat samples I've taken. I like the black and red variation, I usually go with black body red ribbing versus the other way around, but have been tempted several times to do this. I'm fairly sure I can name 4 out of the 5 materials but the covering over the body could be several things, not quite sure there.

Nice bug.

Ira..

#21 ·
This will work. Sorry I didn't reply to your text.

This really works well for me, because all of my bugs are weighted and on occassion it would be nice to throw some unweighted bugs. Tie it.

Ira..

#29 ·
Just finished early this morning. Couldnt sleep so plenty of time to tie at 1:30 AM before work.

It was good for me to tie these becasue I learned some key things: less is best, dont over crowed the eye, half hitches are easier then whip finishes in smaller flies (for me at least), gotta be gentle with the thread wraps by the eye of the hook and when using silk thread, gotta take it easy and not pull so damn hard. :)

#31 ·
I will be picking up supplies to tie this weekend...I have a couple different Ideas to try and tie the glass bug I posted pic of...we'll see how it goes....I hope to have them finished this weekend. Ira, I believe you are very close to me in Everett, could I drop the flies off when they are finished instead of mailing them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.