Chris...About the middle fork snoqualmie

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trout_Zealot, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Trout_Zealot

Trout_Zealot New Member

Chris,

I've seen in other posts that you prefer fishing the middle fork over the south fork of the snoqualmie and I have a few questions. I drove up middle fork road today after coming back from fishing the south fork (I had some extra time to kill on my "kitchen pass") I have never fished the middle fork, but I figured I would at least take a look while I was in the area. It definitely looks as though it gets more pressure than the sf. I only drove up as far as the bridge before I turned around to go home. Anway, if you drive further up from the bridge is there better access? Also, what flies do you recommend for the mf? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks-
    Matt

2. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Hi Matt,

Up the MF (exit 34 on up), when you find access right off the road you've found water that I wouldn't touch. Go past the bridge a ways, find a parking area, hoof it back in and start exploring. The further off the road the better.

Right now the caddis are coming off in the evening. From what I've noticed they are about a size 14/16. Duns, adams, stimulators... that should be fine on top.

Prince, hairs ear, soft hackle... should be fine for below.

Mix it up with a skating a riffle hitched stimulator in some of the faster water close to holes. Won't hurt to try.

Keep in mind that those peaks on both sides of river can catch you off guard in the evening when the sun starts dropping. If you've found that what you seek and play a few extra minutes, you may be bush whacking in the dark. Carry a flashlight.

~Chris

3. Scott Rethke

Scott Rethke Member

I agree with Chris and I disagree with Chris. The Middle Fork offers great fishing, both road and hike-accessible. Driving along MF road try to stop at the first big hole, deep water on a bend with pretty big boulders (about 5-6 miles in). I have caught 14 inch cutts and even some steelies in there.

Two words: Olive Caddis.

Good luck and let me know how you do!

4. Trout_Zealot

Trout_Zealot New Member

Thanks for the info and advice, I'll keep you posted...

5. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Wow! When did they start trucking steelhead above the falls??

6. Trout_Zealot

Trout_Zealot New Member

I was wondering about that one myself...

7. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I've heard of a lot of car break-ins on MF road- be carefull not to leave anything in the car. Fishing within site of my parked car earlier this summer I watched two groups of kids stop and look at my car before seeing me and my buddy and moving on.

8. troutski

troutski New Member

Fished the M.F. saturday afternoon, 12:30 til about 4:00. Prince nymph & beadhead hares ear got numerous takes but mostly smaller fish. There are some bigger ones in there too as evidenced by a grab that broke a new hook off just under the eye. I noticed some helgramite looking cases on the rocks in 2-3 foot depths, many of them were active & seemed to be crawling on the rocks. Not much else for bugs, no mid-day hatches going off so Nymphing worked best. A question for the knowledgeable, Does the fishing tend to be a bit better above the first big bridge (with the deep hole under it)? Seemed like less pressure & some walk-in spots with 5 - 10 minute hikes that help. Any thoughts on how far up-river the fishing quality remains good??

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I might be old---but I'm good.

I was going to question that one myself but you guys beat me to it.

10. troutski

troutski New Member

RE-POSTING THIS MESSAGE - THANKS! Fished the M.F. saturday afternoon, 12:30 til about 4:00. Prince nymph & beadhead hares ear got numerous takes but mostly
    smaller fish. There are some bigger ones in there too as evidenced by a grab that broke a new hook off just under the eye. I
    noticed some helgramite looking cases on the rocks in 2-3 foot depths, many of them were active & seemed to be crawling on the
    rocks. Not much else for bugs, no mid-day hatches going off so Nymphing worked best. A question for the knowledgeable, Does the fishing tend to be a bit better above the first big bridge (with the deep hole under it)? Seemed like less pressure & some walk-in spots with 5 - 10 minute hikes that help. Any thoughts on how far up-river the fishing quality remains good?? After reading about the security issues I now understand what that pile of broken "window" glass was next to the parking area. Sounds like even mid-day on a Saturday you could be targeted up there. Yikes!

11. superflie

superflie New Member

Those hellgramite looking creatures are actually caddis, probably the giant october, looking for food amongst the rocks. I fished the middle fork as well on Saturday. My main fly was a size 8 or 10 stimulator in various colors. Didn't see any stoneflies, but the fish sure liked it. Didn't have to bother with nymphs. Caught about 15 fish with one cutt about 13". It's the first time I'd been to the river since july of last year and didn't realize that it dropped and cleared so much in august. The pocket water looked great in the lower section but I continued up past the bridge and found a nice pull off that looked as if it required a trek to the river. It proved well. Fished all the way up to the Pratt with pretty good luck the whole length-
    Bryan Gandara

12. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

Are you guys using floating lines or sink tips. That's always my big debate. Sounds like a good spot to take my son. Will need to get familiar with exits, roads, and bridges. I like hare's ears, what size do folks reccommend? Thanks in advance for the info.

13. Scott Rethke

Scott Rethke Member

OK, you caught me........I was wondering if anybody would pick up on that!

14. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

And that big hole at the bend by the road that's a mile or 2 before the first bridge is the most hammered spot on the river. Sending a trouter there is like sending a steelheader to blue creek or reiter ponds. Any trout in that hole get poached out early by the illegal bait chuckers.

I've been wanting to try up around the hot springs. i hear the fishing is much better up there past dingford creek if you can ignore all the good looking water for the 25mile (or so) drive down the crappy dirt roads...

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I might be old---but I'm good.

This is not exactly about fishing. I haven't been up there since last year. But the road up to the Taylor river is/wasn't so bad. It's that road above there that's just like a goat trail. Doesn't the forest service ever grade it. Lost a hub cap up there last year. It's not a place for the family car,although I've seen a few up there.

As for fishing up there. I've caught a few fish up there,on the small side. I usually try to get up there in the middle of the week. Less people. You can usually find a road ot two off the beaten path that will take you back into the woods for access to the creek.