Christmas appetizer

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by bitterroot, Dec 5, 2012.

1. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +214 / 1
    I thought I'd share one of my favorite appetizers that I always make for Christmas dinner....

Go to the store and buy fresh Medjool dates (This time of year they are usually in the produce section).
    Slice open each date and remove the pit.
    Wrap each date in bacon and secure with a toothpick.
    Place on a baking sheet and put under the broiler in your oven. Broil until bacon is done to your liking.
    Remove and serve.

The sweet date with the salty, bacony bacon is outstanding!
    Enjoy!!!
    ribka likes this.
  2. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    Mmmm, throw some goat cheese in those dates and you've got one of my favorites as well.
    Steffan Brown and bitterroot like this.
  3. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    I like blue or gorganzola in mine... Love it. However, my wife is a vegetarian, so I make an extra batch for her and others with goat cheese, and instead of wrapping it in bacon, I wrap it in puffed pastry.
  4. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    Anything with bacon is bound to be good.

Vegetarian: an old indian word for lousy hunter.
  5. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Holy crap you've answered my Christmas prayer: what amazingly delicious appetizer to serve my adult children on Christmas morning......?
    I started cooking about a year ago.....and served my super yummy scrambled eggs between gift unwrapping sessions on Christmas morning to our gargantuan family.
    A new tradition is breaking, and this year they all want to know "whats dad cooking while we unwrap gifts???" I like this idea.
  6. Bartfly New Member

Washougal, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Smoked salmon, the easy recipe. 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 qts. water and smoke for 10 hours. I know it's not creative but the wife's family loves it, and it clears out freezer space:).
    ribka likes this.
  7. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    yep goat cheese stuffed good addition