chum retention on the sky

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by sourdoughsmitty, Nov 14, 2013.

1. sourdoughsmitty Member

cashmere,wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Anyone here heard when they will allow chum retention on the sky??
    thanx smitty
  2. fish-on Waters haunt me....

camano island
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Don't know when they will allow it. But definitely not this year..
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,615 / 2
    It's pretty clearly in the regs that there is no retention on chums this year. Good thing too as the numbers aren't exactly stellar.

Did manage a nice, fresh-ish chum hen during my coho outing today, though.
  4. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +174 / 0
    Does fresh-ish mean 2 or three visible purple bars. LOL
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    WP_20131114_001 (2).jpg
    About like that. Nothing spectacular.
    plaegreid and Patrick Allen like this.
  6. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +764 / 0
    I think chum fresh-ish-ness is measured in milliliter of slime per square inch
  7. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    For my money, they are better left to their original destiny.
    plaegreid and Greg Armstrong like this.
  8. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    ... agreed
  9. CLO coho where are you?

Seattle
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    I once kept a chrome bright chum in hopes it would taste good. I was wrong and it was horrible.

I hope there is never chum retention on the sky again, it's just another excuse for red necks to come out of their shacks and trash the river.
    sopflyfisher and BASS_TURDS like this.
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I do notice a difference in the angling culture when there is and is not chum retention allowed on the Sky. I definitely prefer when chum retention is not allowed.
  11. sourdoughsmitty Member

cashmere,wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    :D As to the regs I am aware of them however as it smetimes happens if the escapement level is met on occasion there is a short season for them that is the reason for the iquiry ( sometimes under emergency regs ) . Now being a long time alaskan we view chums in a different light they represent a major foos source for the subsistance types ( the lower 48 has safeway stores no need to issue rules for personal use) If gotten close to tidewater they are good for the smoker especially the late run more oil in them .Yah they taste like a hatchery trout on steroids but they can and do outfight a king and anyother gucci salmon ya wanna name:DIallso notice a few comments on peoples behavior too I agree when pinks and chums are present it brings out the bubbas in force smitty
  12. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +413 / 0
    some of my best people watching is when dudes are frantically yelling GET THE NET! as a dinosaur flops on the end of their line. then the coup de grau............HELL YEAH THAT FVCKER WILL SMOKE UP GOOD. as they admire said catch while beating it mercilessly. i like catching chum though if fresh. they take on the swing, fight good, and are hearty.
  13. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    with the way the WDFW view chum only as a commercial fish. lets hope the north sound rivers stay closed for chum retention.