Chum salmon fry imitations for coastal cutthroat trout?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Pete, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Pete Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    In anticipation of the April entry of chum smolts to the estuaries I would appreciate seeing your recipes or pictures of your patterns for chum fry. I want to catch coastal cutthroat on chum fry patterns. Last spring I beach fished small baitfish patterns in the evening while chum fry were abundant, but didn't catch a coastal cutthroat until I switched to a woolly bugger-type attractor.

I don't see a specific chum fry in several fly books, but there are some "general fry" patterns. What do you use when the chum fry are thick? Is there any special retrieve pattern you use? The fry I observed were about 1 1/2" and in schools by the 100's.

Thanks,
    Pete
  2. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Chum salmon fry imitations for SRCs?

You are in the turf of designing your own pattern.

I was able to find an image of chum smolts at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ops/fm/Salmon/chum.htm.

From that, you could design a pattern in a number of ways: synthetic fur and flash, maybe a mylar tube body, and probably a marker to make the parr marks.

I think the easiest way to do it would be to copy the pattern that I gave on this site for Sand Lance, and modify it until you feel good about what it looks like.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

Rob :THUMBSUP
  3. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +130 / 0
  4. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa

any small pattern should produce, dont have to be pretty to catch a fish especially a agressive fish like that during the spring.
  5. saltchuck New Member

seattle, washington, usa.

I've had some pretty fair success with a very simple tie. I use a size 6 saltwater Tiemco hook (length varies with size of fry I observe.)To this I add a little white marabou for the tail, then tie in and wrap the shank with a few turns of lead from back to front. Next tie in some silver chenille (or suitable substitute) for the body. Wrap this from back to front. Now at the head of the fly, tie in a few strands of blue or blue/green Krystal Flash on top and a couple of white or pearl strands of Krystal Flash on the bottom. Finish off the head and add eyes if you like....oh I forgot - I use green thread to finish off the head (just a personal preference).

I'm not the best or quickest tier but I can put out about 15 - 20 of these an hour. If you're a good tier you should be able to really crank these out. Good Luck and tight lines......let us know how you do out there :COOK