Coho smolts infesting the river

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Wallace, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

make it kind of hard to keep fishing. I fished a short stretch of the E Fork Satsop up from Shafer St Park today. I was on my way home from the rainshadow area, and on a whim I took the back route from Shelton thru Matlock and down the Satsop Valley. When I pulled into the park just after noon, it looked like a bush bear convention was going on. Elsewhere, poachers were having a holiday, no doubt. However, due to the massive WDFW presence (looked like a company picnic), I figured it was safe to park my rig (full of gear) there and make a few casts. I shucked on my waders over my jeans, rigged up my Redington CT 7634 (7' 6" 3 wt) and tied on an olive #10 Stimulator. I was casting my 3 wt DT line (El Cheapo Cabelas Prestige Plus on sale for 29.99 how could I resist?) with a 9' leader and 4X tippet. I really liked the way that rod casts the line. Its a good match. Easy casts beyond 40' and it roll casts nicely, too. My Redington Drift reel has a nice sounding clicker, too.
    Wading upstream, I encountered nothing but wild Coho parrs in the 4" to 5"+ size. Some of the bigger ones approached 6" and were losing their parr marks. Of the ones I had to unhook, I never noticed a single clipped fin. All were unclipped, hence I assume they were wild spawned .Most of them didn't get hooked for long, because I was being careful to not set the hook, once I figured out that the river was full of 'em. The surface takes were fun, though. I'm not going back up there for at least a couple of months, though.
    I hit a bigger fish, about 7" or 8" on the way upstream (I waded up almost a half mile), but it wasn't on for long. It was in a deeper run, and it may have been a cutthroat, but it was a pleasant surprise after all the Coho dinks.

I switched down and dirty to a #8 Wounded Sculpin for the wade back down. Tungsten conehead, and Chuck'nDuck on the 3 wt line and rod. In another deeper run (at least 4' deep!), I hooked my best fish. I'll bet it would have gone at least 9", maybe 10" and it put a good bend in my rod before it jumped and then threw the hook. No ID on the species, but I'll bet the frisky little critter was a cutthroat.
    After that, I knew I would only find Coho dinks in the riffles on my way back, as I remembered no more deeper runs or holes, so I reeled in and hucked it back downstream to my rig.

I'm really liking that 7'6" 3 wt! I need to find it some decent fish to tame, though.

Josh Smestad and Gary Knowels like this.
  2. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

With the massive WDFW presence, did you even get your license checked?:)