NFR College Football

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottmel, Aug 4, 2013.

1. scottmel

scottmel Member

In addition to fly fishing I have several other passions - backpacking/camping, mountain biking, and football. On August 31st, Boise State plays the University of Washington in Seattle. I've been a Boise State season ticket holder for nearly 20 years and attended games for another 10 years or so prior to that. Back in the day, Boise State played as a Division 1-AA member (FCS), winning a National Championship in 1980 and losing in the final in 1994. In 1997, Boise State moved up to 1A (FBS). It was a difficult early transition for them because the coach who was hired to lead them into the FBS division was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer just prior to the 1994 Championship game and passed away at the end of 1997 - their first year as a FBS school. Along the way, they hired a number of good coaches - Houston Nutt (who later went on to coach the Razorbacks at Arkansas and Ole Miss), Dirk Koetter (who went on to coach Arizona State, Dan Hawkins (Colorado) and finally Chris Petersen.

Each year I typically make it to one or two road games (Georgia, Michigan State, BYU, Virginia Tech, etc..). This leads me to this year. Boise State recently changed the rules they use to distribute away game tickets, so this year I was only able to get two through their ticket office.

The problem I have is that I need 3 more so my entire family can go. I tried grabbing 3 tickets through the Washington Huskies website, but they sold out (I think to ticket brokers) - Does anyone have any recommendation for picking up 3 seats together? Right now the tickets are prices off the charts through Craigslist, Stubhub, etc.

Finally, where's a good place to stay that's not more than 1/2 hour from the stadium and easy to get in and out of? I've heard Woodinville, Redmond, Issaquah. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, just need something that is in a safe location and family friendly.

2. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

As far as tickets go you're kind of SOL sadly. Craigslist, stubhub, etc are youre best bets at this point. You can try to scalp some at game time but theres no guarantee that will work.

As far as where to stay, anywhere on the eastside (of the lake) would work and you'll find cheaper rates than in downtown Seattle I would imagine. Bellevue, Kirkland, Issaquah, Redmond, Woodinville would work. From the Eastside, the best way that I've found to go to games over the years is the park and ride just off Northup on the edge of Bellevue/Kirkland. You can park there, take the free bus (was free in the past, MIGHT have changed this yr not 100% sure -- maybe do a quick googel search or something ) across the bridge and it drops you at the Montlake exit on 520.

From here you can just walk the few hundred yards to the stadium. You can keep walking north of the Stadium to the main parking lots to enjoy some tailgating but if your goal is just getting there from your hotel this is your best bet. Search "S Kirkland P&R Acrd" in google maps. That should get you there. Its just north of Burgermaster. You could of course drive yourself if you want.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  3. I am a UW season ticket holder and am anxiously awaiting that game. I know some others that have season tickets, I could see if they are trying to sell or not, if so I will let you know.

As far as places to stay, I would check for groupon's, or livingsocial hotel deals in Seattle first but it also depends on the atmosphere you want, or things you want around you for convienance (bars, restaurants, shopping etc..) if not I would say bellevue, redmond, seattle or kirkland are your best bets. Nothing really in woodinville except for Willows and well thats close to 300$ a night.. The UW players stay at the redmond marriot which is a nice hotel but means you would see the Huskies :) and right off the 520 so easy to the stadium if you wanted to drive, if not I would do as Golfman suggested and drive to the Kirkland P & R and catch the bus.

4. scottmel

scottmel Member

Thanks for the tips! I'll have my wife and 3 boys (ages 5, 7 and 9), so I'm not going to be hitting the bars or anything like that. Interesting enough, everyone that I have talked to said the Redmond Marriot would be a good choice for a family. We plan on checking out some of the sites with our boys - Museum of Flight, Pikes Market, Sea Aquarium, etc. I've been on the campus of the university - very, very nice indeed. When I was in high school it was a school that I always wanted to go to.

Michael, if you come up with 3 tickets together, that would be total awesome. Boise State received 3,000 or so tickets from Washington and season ticket holders were capped at 2 each, so the plan is to get 3 more - one adult sits with the 5 year old and the other adult sits with the two older boys.

5. I will definitely ask, but knowing its the first game in the brand new stadium I am not sure. Yep the redmond marriott is a good place, and is in the towncenter. Not a terrible drive to Seattle either, and your kids might get to see some of the players also since they all stay there the night before the game. Sounds like you guys will have a nice little trip, kids might even enjoy the seattle great wheel unless the afraid of heights...I actually just got my season tickets in the mail today :)

Attached Files: