Come on carp.... spawn already!!!

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kaiserman, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Went out two weeks ago, saw hundreds of carp not feeding, just cruising around... all day. Went out this last Friday, saw maybe 20 carp. No fish sloshing around in the shallows, where did they go?

I did see some in the much deeper water occasionally. I finally got one to hand, and since this in an area with good trout fishing, I decided to cut it open. Eggs! The eggs were really, really small, which means they haven't even spawned yet!

Am I missing something? Shouldn't these fished have spawned by now!?

2. Yup, Carp eggs are really tiny. I didn't even bother going out . . . water is so high down here that it isn't even productive.

3. Carp may spawn more than once a year.

4. Saw a "secret flat" with carp cruising and slurping yesterday. They are funny critters. I don't chase them a ton, but they do seem to come and go pretty quickly. One day an area can be covered and the next they seem to be few and far between.

Guess it just depends where you are looking :)

5. Yeah David, I know of one lake that it's kinda that way. However, this particular lake has a bazilion carp, and they (usually) are in the same places all the time.

I think they knew I was coming! :D

6. :)

7. They were not in full spawn mode weekend before last at one place I was at.