Confused on fly rod sizes

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Akuriko, Apr 1, 2014.

1. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Rods range from a 0wt to 16wt.. probably some that are bigger or unrated. 14wt or 16wt is for very big fish. There was a board member that got a 11' Mako shark on a 16wt I believe.. A 12wt or 14wt could be used for sails or marlin or anything really big that fights really hard.

For NW steelhead an 8wt is perfect for winter fish and at 6wt or 7wt for summer fish. But to simplify all of the advice you've gotten, get a 5wt for trout and an 8wt for steelhead. That's the advice I've given most of my customers, unless they are talking about fishing a specific area, where a lighter rod may be more appropriate.

For length, a 9' rod is your best all around length in both weights. If you fish small, brushy creeks than something a little shorter is nice.

Just don't overthink it. If you have questions stop by your local fly shop and take a class or just buy what you can afford / need and get out there.. I'll give you a little secret.. the fish don't care what rod you have... your buddy may, but the fish don't give a crap! :)

Good luck!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Thanks, for myself i have a 5wt and a 6w, i wanted steelhead and salmon since i fish fresh waters, if i ever get to the ocean i wanted to fish a marlin or a bill fish but thats later, will a 8wt catch a channel cat, walleye or pike? i was curious if a needed a shorter rod but i only fish rocky ford and the grand county lakes, this year i was planning several fishing trips so i was curious if i needed anything shorter, the rods and sizes confused me, i know people who say 5 or 6 wt is fine but then i see people say they fish there 2-4 wt and catch palm size trout and im like um you cant eat them and you must catch and release, in my eyes doesnt seem fun to catch something that small but i could be wrong, i never tried it but there is no stream where i am at yet so i keep thinking will the 9 foot rod work or do i need a shorter one for the job, then i ask myself, is there any creeks, or streams that need a smaller rod around here, so far i am scouting for those smaller streams here in grant county so i can fish small streams too, more likely this year i will need to go into the cascade mountain range to find it. Sorry i rambled on a bit, lol

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Akuriko,

Based on the questions you ask, it appears that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground, so to speak, regarding fly rods in general, and particularly what the various line weights and rod lengths are for. If you are fishing Rocky Ford and Grant Co. lakes for trout, then your first rod should be a 9' 5 wt. for the simple reason that is the most popular rod sold in the U.S. for general, all purpose, trout and pan fishing in lakes, ponds, and streams. Weights and lengths up and down from that are some form of specialization. So if you're choosing a different rod than that, you should have a reason and understand that reason. Your posts read as though you so far lack the understanding for having a reason to choose something else.

If you have a suitable 5 wt and are looking to broaden your horizon, buy a 9' 7 wt if you intend to fish for steelhead on the dry side; or make it a 9 1/2' 8 wt if you want to fish east and west of the summit, year around. Other lengths and line wts are also suitable, but if you don't know what the fuck you're doing, then stick with these because they have been the choices of a great many experienced anglers who knew the reasons for their choices in tackle. Lean on the experience of many who have blazed this trail before you happened along.

When it comes to choosing a brand name, that's simple. Choose the brand that makes you smile. If you're a good enough caster to appreciate how the rod casts, that's even better. But if you don't cast that well, then the smile is good enough. Price point is easy too. Buy the rod whose price is comfortable for you. There are good rods priced from $59 to $4,000, and they all work well. Making an informed choice along that price continuem requires being informed enough to understand why you're making a particular choice. Lacking that understanding, I recommend choosing a price you're comfortable with.

Have fun and good luck.

Sg

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Acually as i said earlier i was trying to understand the various sizes and now i understand i asked about steelhead and salmon as i can buy rods for that, as for the 5wt i have a redington and a 6wt also in classic trout, i was curious on the sizes of others and what its fished for and so forth, i wanted to buy a smaller wt rod but unless i have the application i should put it on hold, as for the reason well no streams in the area that are small streams, eventually maybe, but i was curious on steelhead and salmon wt because that kinda confused me before you all exsplained it to me, so thank you all. :)

also i was curious on the grounds is i fish fresh water, not salt so i was curious how heavy the wt should go to for fresh water and you also all exsplained it to me, i was about to print that chart out and pin it to my wall.

so thank you all again.

5. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

At the small fish end: a five inch trout has no more strength than a young kitten, so there's not much point in buying a super ultralight rod and line so that you can "feel the fight."

At the large end: I fished a 10-weight outfit for winter steelhead, because they're strong fish, and large, weighted flies feel awkward when cast on lesser rods. But 8 or 9-weight outfits are adequate for that 97% of the time.

6. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

But wait, what's a two handed rod for??? And do they also come in a variety of sizes??? I'm sure the OP would like a matching chart for spey rods. Please educate him further on the matter. Please.

7. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Acually i am a woman not a he, secondly i been looking up and spey rods are 2 handed rods mostly i think for distance, possibly for salt water fishing, i wouldn't have a application for it as i'm for mostly trout, steel head and salmon, other fish maybe later if i lived near the puget sound or the ocean or the straits of juan de fuca.

8. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

spey rods you are correct are two handed fly rods, their line weight designations are 3-4 weights heavier than a the same weight in a single handed rod.. an 8 weight spey rod has roughly the equivalent fish fighting power of an 8 wt single handed fly rod but requires a line as heavy as an 11 or 12 weight single handed line. They are used primarily for salmon and steelhead, they generally cast further and cast sink tips easier. they however cause people to over fish the river. they cast further because they can not because they need to.

9. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

So there traditionally used just for steel head and salmon? so when you say buy a 8 wt you might have to put a 11 or 12 wt line on it?

10. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

careful with the books... older books are informative but based on what was what when they were written. Newer technology is newer information. Still, you should try many rods before you buy... My first "real" fly rod was a very fast Sage (all the rage then). I hated it. found a used Winston & never looked back.
    As for the casting skills... that changes with the rod. I have found that if someone assists (or at least watches you) your learning curve for a correct casting stroke is cut greatly. The tendency for distance/power is a male thing & hard to overcome... unless someone shows you how to get the most from the rod & line.
    (the only video I ever saw that was good for a beginner is Mel Kreiger's)

11. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

there are specialty lines manufactured for spey rods and sold in appropriate line weights

12. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Very good, will keep it in mind if i buy one for steelhead or salmon. :)