Construction Of The Tying/gear Shed Has Started.

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Walker, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I really am concerned as to whether the 2x6 rafters will be adequate for the expected snow load... hopefully you'v got 1/2inch sheathing...!!
  2. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +229 / 1
    I like the look of the sheet metal! It reminds me of the PNW. :D
    Add to the fact that even crappo 25yr shingles are are $27 at HD, I'd need 6/7 bundles for a cost of approx. $200.
    I got 10 forest green, cut to length, 45yr sheets AND the 14'1" ridge cap from a local mfg. for $257. Better deal to me.
    With the added strength, maybe I could have a helipad.

Dave....roof sheathing is 19/32".:)
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,540 / 9
    Metal roof, sprinkler, hose and kiddie pool in the summer. Now we know what all the roofing 2x6's are for!
  4. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Yesterday's progress.
    Starting to come together nicely. I'll pick up the sheet metal Monday afternoon (hopefully).
    Lots of piddly, but important things to do; spackle, finish priming, etc.
    BTW....never drop a partially filled 5gal. bucket of primer off the top off a 12' ladder!:mad: 1shed29.jpg
    Irafly likes this.
  5. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Haven't seen nor heard you mention a/c or heat pump... w/o that you'll need to upgrade the beer cooler...
  6. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Beer cooler (BBQ fridge) about 10 steps away (ya gotta go outside to whiz). Actually, I'm standing next to it to take most of the pics shown here..
    Small A/C unit in the wall on back side most likely. Not that many "cold" days here, so a plug-in heater will do. Only 120sq'!
  7. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    Coming along nicely. I have enjoyed following this post and will miss it once it's done.
  8. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Thanks, NewTyer1. I've enjoyed building it and sharing the process. Maybe someone else will consider building one as a result.
    Still lots of things to do and more pics to come.
  9. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

No one has mentioned that you've saved a lot of time by cutting out a lot of yard work and watering in the future and it looks like there's room to add on in that future too. I'm of the thought that if there was a chance for me to change things in the future I would forget the house and just build an oversize fishing shack with all of the amenities. Including the garage for the SUV and the boat house etc. And all the other suggestions added in I do like the heat pump and lots of insulation to keep things right for easy working {playing}. Enjoy
    Irafly likes this.
  10. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +702 / 0
    Nicely done, Mr. Walker, Sir! I envy your ability . . . carpentry (and a about a bazillion other arts/crafts are not in my repertoire, although I made a hunting storage box one time that some folks occasionally recognized as a
    box . . . ). I can hardly wait to see the finished product . . . ought to be some kind of nice!
  11. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Bob...........less watering/yard work was one of my selling points to the little woman!

Jim; I can not claim much of the carpentry knowledge. Most of what you see construction-wise, is the results of my friend's ability.
    Having somewhat limited carpentry skills, I pretty much do as instructed.:D
    I do claim rights to the design/plans.
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +354 / 1
    That's a fine looking hut. I wish I had one like it. Maybe someday I'll build one like it. That would keep me out of the woman's way and I could get some serious work done like watching videos and tying flies.
  13. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +702 / 0
    Then kudos on the design also, Mark!
  14. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Really impressed Mark. I hope to have something similar when the "garage" really just a glorified tool shed, gets rebuilt. The assesor seems to think that just because its external dimensions might allow a car to be parked in it, and it's separate from the house....jeez. Anyhow, nice work. it gives me inspiration to make an attempt.
  15. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Thanks, Gene. Go as BIG as you can get away with!
  16. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Been mired down for some time now.
    Hope to update this soon.
  17. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Pics (reversed order) of Thurs/Fri's progress. Temps in the upper 90's, so just been working the mornings.
    A few minor tasks (finish screws, etc.) and the roof will be complete.
    Electrical up next.
    1shed30.jpg 1shed31.jpg
  18. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Proof that Rome wasn't built in day...............
    Took a few badly needed days for a short fishing trip to the E. Sierras. Will post report/pics inthat forum.
    Electrical plods along.
    Interesting fact...after letting the hose soak the ground for a day where the 8' ground rod went, the rod went in by hand until the last 2'. A 3# hammer and a short piece of galv pipe with a cap on finished it off. Didn't take more than 5 minutes! What a stoke of luck especially with the rock infested soil we have.

Attached Files:

19. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    I really enjoyed reading through your progress! Now you've got my mind working on ideas for my own :)
  20. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Thank you.
    Give it lots of thought. I already would have done a few things different........too late now.