Cooped Up With New Child - Casting Around The House!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by MarkY3130, Feb 28, 2014.

1. MarkY3130

MarkY3130 Active Member

So I've got a few months old daughter that has put a serious limit to my fishing time. (Can't complain too much it's been a lot of fun)

Anyway, lately my favorite thing is to spread out some of her toys and grab my 6'-6" Eagle Claw Featherweight rod and practice "bow and arrow" casts throughout the house. Almost like a mini-golf course. I am vastly improving this type of cast and look forward to putting it to real use.

Anyone else do anything like this when you haven't been able to make it out fishing for a while?

On a side note, I have so much fun with this eagle claw featherweight every time I use it. (In the house or for real) Sometimes I wonder why I bother with the arsenal of high dollar rods I've accumulated!

2. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

I have a seasonal stream that flows along my house, but it only flows with heavy rain. So we got some rain, and I practiced stack mending and downward angled casts.

3. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

When she gets a little older and starts crawling around try tying up a binkie pattern and throw that out there - great sport when you can't get away to fish for fish.

Seriously though, they grow up way too fast. Enjoy these times with her!

William Wallace and MarkY3130 like this.
  4. MarkY3130

MarkY3130 Active Member

So far I've been sticking with yarn but a binky pattern would be neat.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Get one of those carriers things and take her with you. That's what I do my daughter loves it. Just watch out once they start teething cork feels good on their teeth.

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I like where your mind's at. The next step is to get a kitten(preferably borrow one), and tie a yarnie on. They are good for something. Lead the cat by at least six feet. Slowly slide it into range.... using the toy golf course as if it's a weedline...
    Waiting for the pounce..... solid take! Feral cats jump the most!

MarkY3130 likes this.
  7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

As stated, enjoy this very precious time in your life, for kids do indeed grow far too quickly & then are gone in a flash. When I have been laid-up, I've tied flies, read, researched maps, found projects to do, etc. I'm sure you'll find ways to stay busy.

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Used to throw a Fly-O, a short glass rod with thick heavy yarn that Wulff sold. We have a water feature and sometimes I'll cast or roll cast a 3 or 4 wt to the gold fish. My 6' 3wt is short enough that I can cast indoors. Molly the beagle loves this game (not).
    You might try casting with just the tip section of your lightest 2 or 3 piece rod. A good thing to keep in mind on a small stream.

9. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

I take out my rods to look at them (kind of embarrassing to be so attached a plastic wand) and think of the good times I had last summer with them. I try to avoid hitting the ceiling, so no casting in the house. I thought about fishing for the dog with my 5'10" glass rod, but I think I'll leave her alone. We should all be filling our fly boxes. It amazes me how quickly I run out of red Copper Johns and pearl flash X-Caddis during the summer.