Cooper River?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by see trout, Apr 7, 2002.

1. see trout

see trout New Member

Has anybody fished the Cooper River near Salmon La Sac? I've heard it has Rainbows,Browns,Brookies and Cutthroat. How is it? Sounds like a good stream to me but a little far just to go check it out. Please let me know if you have any info.

Justin :THUMBSUP

2. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

I fished the Cooper River all the way from Salmon La Sac up to Cooper lake some time back about 10 years. It had cutts and brookies in abundance then and a few rainbow, but no Browns. Actually it's better fishing in late June and July,August when the snowmelt has gone off.

3. Rob

Rob New Member

I've fished the Cooper River at least once a summer for the past 15 years. It's one of my favorite rivers. I have personally caught rainbows, cutts, browns, and brookies but the vast majority have been rainbows. The Cooper is a beautiful river but the fish can be tight-lipped. I've had the most success using small stimulators (14-16), adams, stone nymphs (14), prince nymphs, and pheasant tails. Some fish can reach surprising sizes. Most are around 10 to 14 inches. However, on two different occasions, I saw several fish that were at least 24 inches and what I would estimate to be about 6 or 7 pounds. I believe they were browns but wonder if they could have been bull trout. Good luck.

Rob

4. see trout

see trout New Member

Thanks alot for the information Rob and Fishinfella. I am definately going to check out this stream this summer, too much fun to miss. Again, Thank you.

Justin>CatchandReleaseForever :BIGSMILE