Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

could move to the OP

3K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  zen leecher aka bill w 
#1 ·
Well, I hate to ask here but I'm moving out of Bellingham, in April, and not sure where I'll end up. It's just me and my Lab and I've been in WA state 3 yrs and have yet to make it over to the OP to fish these great rivers. I was thinking of moving to Lacey, or in the area but not so sure the duck hunting would be good for me at Nisquilly refuge since I no longer have my boat. I could drive down to the Cowlitz and have some great steelhead fishing at blue creek. I have the mariners games, but the o peninsula with the Hoe and Sol-duc...just looking at pictures of those rivers is what I call, as rugged and beautiful as steelhead fishing can get. I haven't read any books on the OP rivers but have been fly fishing off and on for 30 yrs. I tapped into the kalama, for a summer when I was living down in Longview, but I'm also thinking of moving to Forks.

If anyone who lives near forks, or fishes these great waters, can you let me know what you think of them? Send IM, if you want. Finding a year round rental in forks, would be another factor why I want to live over there. I'm sick of apt. living. Finding a decent quiet place on the coast might fit well for me! I don't think I would find more rugged beauty than that of the rainy op. it seems like it couldn't get much better than that. Can someone tell me what has been the usual with the regs in that area? Can we fish at least 7 months a year? C&R Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
Also, you might want to consider the @#$%*& wind out here on the coast. I am a professed contrarian, hate big cities, avoid any crowded venues (except for my local surf break on weekends, when the surf is primo), don't mind a little sun now and then, but prefer a thick overcast, and maybe a little fog.
You don't want to get into trying to fight the moss out here. I actually let it take over. I do occasionally scrub it off my vehicles, though. (I think it hurts my fuel economy).

#8 ·
A little rain ? ! :)

In Bellingham, average annual rainfall is 34 inches. In Forks, they Forgot how to measure in inches decades ago. They average over 10 feet of rain a year, and can get as much as 13 feet.

The west coast of the OP is in another league rainfall-wise.

For a lot of reasons, that makes it an awesome place to: visit.

#13 ·
As someone who recently moved to the Peninsula from B'ham, I can tell you that there are some incredible plus sides and down sides. Neither of them are what you will expect. I live in Neah Bay, and a ridiculous plus side is that when I am finished working for the day I can take my dog to a beach with no one on it...literally, no one is at the beach, just seals, sea lions, elk on the way to beach, eagles...This was something that didn't initially attract me to the area (I was attracted to steelhead) but has become my major form of entertainment. One thing that does get old is all of the driving. If I don't want velveeta and wonderbread for dinner I have to drive almost two hours to PA...serious bummer. You would have it a little better in Forks with the thriftway there, but everything is selling at "Well hell, we had to haul all this crap all the way the f*$! out here" prices. Include the cost of a massive chest freezer in your moving expenses, be prepared to spend a crap-ton on gas, and be ready to experience absolute splendor...I mean it, it's amazing here...and the fishing can be alright.

#18 ·
'eh, I like ya's all replies. it was soothing ;) I won't be buying a house but thanks for the port angeles idea. There isn't anything for rent in forks last I looked. I guess i'll visit for a few days like everybody else. Not sure how fast those rivers can clear. Maybe Shelton or elma would be ok. since starting the thread, I have a job interview lined up for Tuesday, of next week down there near Tacoma, so i'm looking at Tacoma or Thurston county.

Problem is when you read all those apt. reviews it just makes ya sick about living in the city these days. How some of these renters are even allowed to live in some apts. I have no idea, other than the apt. mgrs. probably do drugs themselves and renting to druggie tenants as a way to get their junk.

Do any of you pack because you live in apts? I sure did when i was in Vancouver. Police cars always coming through. putting up with noise, tweakers, drugs, crime vandalism... If anyone can recommend a good apt. complex under 780.00 for 1 bdrm, please let me know. I'm driving down this tuesday in hopes I can find a good place. Thanks a lot.

#24 ·
I've been looking in oly, steilecoom, university place, Tacoma, many apts look great but reviews are terrible. I guess i'm gonna have to drive around and pick what looks like a good place to live and hope for the best. I was looking at the crime tracking Raids thing online and I can't get the darn thing to work.

#28 ·
Good grief, things must be slow for you two since the big event... your having to mine up old posts to occupy your time. Hopefully you'll cook up another "march-on" or "occupy movement" real soon to right the wrongs imposed on you.

#31 ·
Now there's a shocker for ya!
well even though I sounded like I was confused on where to live and thinking of the OP, things change, just like I had an interview in Lacey. Why the hostility? Maybe you don't like the idea I mention God, in my profile? you poor thing. Oh yes, I can hear it from you now. "has nothing to do with that, I didn't even look at it" Or is it because I don't use my real name? that must be it too. Being Italian, I can sometimes become intolerant of those making fun.

or maybe you think im a vulnerable confused person. So what if i'm confused, it's not easy making decisions. Things change. Before I thought about Thurston county, I was actually thinking of sno ho county, but wasn't sure. Guess I shouldn't have asked the question about forks. So, I was lame. everybody now here this. I am lame! So, one day I check out CL, and see a condo in Everett and it has everything I've been looking for. I was actually really looking forward to living in Olympia, or down there nearby but the housing thing wasn't panning out. I'm so sorry.

this new place, I just was approved. stainless appliances, microwave, nice fireplace, 740 sq ft. 1bdrm, washer dryer, a huge deck with great size storage room at the end. i'm no troll.

#33 ·
well even though I sounded like I was confused on where to live and thinking of the OP, things change, just like I had an interview in Lacey. Why the hostility? Maybe you don't like the idea I mention God, in my profile? you poor thing. Oh yes, I can hear it from you now. "has nothing to do with that, I didn't even look at it" Or is it because I don't use my real name? that must be it too. Being Italian, I can sometimes become intolerant of those making fun.

or maybe you think im a vulnerable confused person. So what if i'm confused, it's not easy making decisions. Things change. Before I thought about Thurston county, I was actually thinking of sno ho county, but wasn't sure. Guess I shouldn't have asked the question about forks. So, I was lame. everybody now here this. I am lame! So, one day I check out CL, and see a condo in Everett and it has everything I've been looking for. I was actually really looking forward to living in Olympia, or down there nearby but the housing thing wasn't panning out. I'm so sorry.

this new place, I just was approved. stainless appliances, microwave, nice fireplace, 740 sq ft. 1bdrm, washer dryer, a huge deck with great size storage room at the end. i'm no troll.
Hey man,

I'm pretty sure that Chris's comment was aimed at Freestoneangler, above, and not you. I'm sure he, like the rest of us, is probably totally happy that you were able to figure this out. Just so you know. Various people who have commented on this thread have had a variety of disagreements over management issues lately, and I think that spilled into this one.

Jason

#35 ·
Hope you find what your looking for insectgreen, No offense taken or meant, peace.

#37 ·
hey guys, sorry that I was short on humor on my part. Was dealing with too much at the time. All moving done, muscles sore and it's a killer luxury apt. over by Mariner h.s. I'm in the market for a used 8 or 9wt. I had a Gloomis salt water 3 piece with guru 3.5 and rio versa tip and will try to buy it back for $300.00. Once I find a job i'll be ready to walk on gravel :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.