Cowlitz Trip July 15-20

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by pastorjasonharwood, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Hey everyone! I was thinking of booking a guide for my dad and I to fish the Cowlitz one day the week of July 15-20. However, with the run looking dismal I am thinking of not... Any of you have any intel that would help me make a decision? Thanks so much!

Jason

2. I recommend a conversation with John Hicks, at Sea Run Pursuits, for good information. Email address is searunpursuits@gmail.com. I'm fishing with him the week after you are planning to be here...

3. I wish I could help you on this one. I do not have any open dates during that time period.

The run has been slow but there are fish in the river. As the river starts to run lower and gets more pressured. Move to smaller flies and longer leaders. By August we can be looking at 15' leaders down to 8lb test and size 8 or smaller flies. Also start probing some of the less fishing looking water. These fish see everying day in and day out. They will move to less "Steelhead" looking water.

I hope that helps you.

As far as guides go. Another great bet is Steve Buckner at northwest fly fisherman. www.northwestflyfisherman.com

He knows the Cowlitz as good if not better than anyone I know.

Derek Young likes this.
  4. Mike Sturza at the fly shop in Onalaska also guides on the Cowlitz if you decide to fish. It's definitely a less than average return this year, but a few steelhead are being caught. The time period you're choosing is generally peak summer run abundance.

Sg

5. Fishing has been kinda slow but here are a couple from this week so it's getting a little better. I agree with Sg Mike is a pretty good choice he spends a lot of time on the Cowlitz.

Attached Files:

Jonathan Tachell and cabezon like this.
  6. My vote goes to Mike at Lost Creek fly shop. He always knows what is going on there. That said it has been a either a small or late return, or perhaps both

7. Thanks so much guys! I actually talked with Mike on the phone before posting. Seems like a straight forward great guy! I think we are gonna opt to fish the upper naches instead with the run looking pretty dismal in the Cowlitz. What do you all think of that? Am I making a mistake?

8. freestoneangler is right steve is legit. Hit him up and see what he has to say.

9. When it comes to the Cow, Sturza knows his stuff. I've seen him turn a few of my soldiers into young Jedi's on the Cowlitz after he took them under his wings.

10. Does Sturza use or fish anything other than tandem tubes and skagit lines? Nothing against him or his methods, just seems that is all he posts on his fishing report for the last couple of years.

11. I would think as a guide you would use what ever is producing for the customers.

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.

12. I agree Phil. There are some self proclaimed rock star steelheaders out there who repeatedly say "the fly does not matter". Obviously, in the Eyes of Sturza and many others, the fly does matter.

13. I'd say Sturza spends more time on the Cow than any other fly guy--at least for the past several years--all 12 months of the year. That of course is how you learn the river and how to catch it's fish.
    That's not to say others can't catch fish there.
    I've certainly been struggling of late to pull a fish out of that river.

14. Mike Sturza is the man on the Cow whether he fishes Skagit heads and tandems or not. He knows every inch of that river and can put you on the most productive pieces of water. Plus, he is just a really cool guy! If you want to learn how to effectively fish the Cowlitz, Mike is hard to beat.