CRYSTAL RIVER CAHILL 8 1/2 Ft 2 PIECE FLY ROD

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by erok, Dec 12, 2002.

1. erok

erok New Member

Good afternoon,
    Is anyone familiar with Crystal River Cahill fly rods? I may pick one up but I figured I would ask the board for your opinions.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Eric

Eric Cunningham
    :BIGSMILE

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

These are pretty chintzy rods. the only place that I ever see them is in Fred Meyer's and the like.

If you are looking for an inexpensive, but fairly well built setup, check out WW Grigg rods, and Okuma Sierra reels. For under $100 they are a pretty good deal. Besides, you will prefer to have a 9 foot rod over an 8.5 foot rod.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Whoa Eric,

Those are the perfect cheap rods for the kid who is going strap it to his mountain bike and take off like a bat out of hell. He'll be lucky if it's still strapped to his bike when he gets to the fishing hole. If not, who cares.

There has to be some decent shops in Missoula to check out. Or online.

Matt

4. erok

erok New Member

Matt,
    Thanks for your reply... the reason I asked was because someone was selling one on Ebay for $10.. was going to buy it for a friend, someone who is new to FF. I wasnt sure if was crap or a steal... now I know..

Have a great weekend,
    Eric

Eric Cunningham

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

For $10 you can't lose . . .

Another thing, for weight rod are you looking? I differ with Rob's comment about you preferring a 9' rod. Many proficient fishermen prefer 8'6" rods for, say, a 4 to 6 weight because, on an equivalent model basis, the actions are a little quicker. If you don't believe me, I can have you contact a Sage rep who was born fly fishing, and his preference is 8 1/2 rods, because of their quicker actions for dry fly and general fly fishing typically associated with those weight rods. I would have to concur. Until recently, Scott had a whole line of rods (their HeliPly) that were ALL 8'8" rods.

In short, there is nothing wrong with an 8'6" rod. For younger persons and women, the shorter rods are actually more beneficial to their casting efforts. Also, the length of the rod should be a function for what you intend to use it; i.e. there's a reason why spey rods are from 11'6" on up. And, steelheaders who fish larger rivers prefer longer-than-average (say, 9'6" to 11') rods because the extra length allows them to mend their lines more effectively.

I would encourage the acquisition of an 8'6" rod in lieu of the 9' rod.

The Grigg rods Rob endorses perform pretty well for the price. However, for $75 you can buy a Redington Red.Fly, with an unconditional lifetime warranty (which the Griggs does not have), which rod will perform at least as well as the Griggs. Trust me, if you fish much, that warranty one day will be a welcome item.

Also, respective to reels, the Okuma Sierra is an adequate choice. However, if you're buying a 4 to 6 weight outfit, you can get some clicker reels, for even less money than the Okuma, that would perform adequately. Also, in my opinion, it's not as svelte or techie, but the venerable Pflueger Medalist is a much more durable and reliable reel than the Okuma Sierra, at the same price.

If you're young person or friend decides to get in to fly fishing, they will eventually upgrade their gear, trust me! It's all part of the journey. So, the Redington could become a backup, and a lifetime item by virtue of its warranty.

The Cabela's recommendations and the Cortland CL (another great rod value, with an unconditional lifetime warranty)outfits recommended by others in this thread are all great suggestions. I'd get those before I'd get the Griggs/Okuma setup.

In a perfect world, if budget weren't so much an issue and you knew the person would be impassioned about fly fishing, I'd get them the new Sage LE outfit. Sage quality, service, and product performance and a reachable price. With its lifetime warranty, this could be an item a person could conceivably own and use forever, and a kit the person "could grow into", and never really outgrow.

So many options!
    :THUMBSUP