Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Custom ultra light float tube

41K views 157 replies 52 participants last post by  slimjones 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to design an ultralight float tube after I've given up on any company making one. I've tried to find a small independent ultralight backpacking company that would build one for me, but no luck there either.

I've been toying with a few ideas, I was hoping I could use an existing bladder and build a cover around it, this was before I found out that the bladder is about half the float tube weight (2.98lbs for bladder, 3.89lbs for cover). So now I want to make my own bladder and cover.

For the bladder I found a website saying that mylar is sometimes used for inflatable bladders, this would definitely be the lightest, but I have some concerns about durability. Do you think it would pop like a balloon if it were to be punctured? I wouldnt want to be in the middle of a lake and have my float tube blow up.

PolyUrethane is a common material that is supposed to be pretty light. Can't really picture it though, I'd need a sample to figure out how light it would be. Any one have an estimate for how heavy it would be in comparison to mylar? All other aspects seem great with PU.

The last material im considering is nylon (vaccuum packing material), seems pretty lightweight and strong, it doesn't puncture easily (just deforms), and it would probably bond together pretty good.

The cover is where I was hoping to save the most weight, my current float tube is made out of 420 denier nylon (6.8 oz per sq yard), and 1000 denier cordura (10.8 oz per sq yard). I think those materials are overkill, I don't need my float tube to withstand a bear attack. The two dangers I see are algae covered sticks or rocks that you can kick into, and a hook catching on your tube will release or fighting a fish. The second one has me worried. I figure I just need a material that will keep the hook from hitting the bladder.

I looked into cuben fiber, its light (around 1 oz per sq yard), very abrasion and puncture resistant, but I'm concerned about a hook going through and hitting the bladder. I don't really need the waterproof properties it has. Anyone know of a comparably light material that would keep a hook away from the bladder a little better?

If anyone has any experience with this kind of project I would appreciate your input. I have never done any heat welding nor do I have a set up to do it. I know gluing is one method, but I don't know if Id trust it to hold air. I'm hoping to get a float tube under 3 lbs out of all of this. Currently mine weighs 7.87 lbs when its dry, that's just too much when you're trying ultralight. That, combined with waders and flippers almost triples my pack weight for a weekend trip.

See less See more
#148 ·
So, it's been a while since an update. I've been itching to get out again and had plans for an opening day escape but the late season snow storm put the kibosh on that.

I had a shot to get out this weekend, and even though there was a forecast for wind, I wasn't going to be denied again.

My buddy and I packed our gear and made it to the trailhead just after sunrise. The three mile hike in was pretty uneventful and there was hardly a hint of a breeze.

We dropped our packs and the lake. Wind, I don't see any wind!

Well, unfortunately the fishing wasn't spectacular but we did each get one. Oh, and that wind? It did show up eventually...

You can see the other guys on shore in the photo above that showed up later contemplating shoving off in the gale. Turns out the wind was gusting to 40(!!) mph.

What I learned:

- The "bag of rocks" anchor works, kinda. My bag had to be chock full, and it still dragged on the mud bottom.
- Wind and ultralight float tubes are NOT friends! I about lost the boat to the lake and JUST managed to grab it before it flew away. Even holding it by the handle it took off spinning like a kite and I managed to tear the strap.
- You get a smug sense of superiority when you seen guys and their giant gear piles watching as your little backpack swallows your boat.
- My fins work damn well in the blow. The last time my friend and I fished a drive up lake I just about died kicking upwind using my Force fins while Scott was sporting the ultralights and laughing in the face of the breeze. This time even though the wind was probably worse, I never felt outgunned.

Anyway, not much really new to report as far as tube design is concerned. I've managed to use up my first full roll of fabric and I'm looking into getting another. I've updated the fins a bit in light of some reliability issues. And I'm considering building waders as that's the last bit of the kit that's not available off the shelf.

Can't wait to get back out...

_SHig

#152 ·
Very sad news and a great loss not only to his family but also to the world of ultralight backpacking and fishing. Condolences to his loved ones. Rest in peace, SHIG - I hope your heaven is filled with lots of big, beautiful fish! Thank you for your inspiration, dedication and hard work to advance ultralight float tubing.

#154 ·
This is so sad. His zeal for UL backpacking and fishing was infectious. My prayers go out for comfort and guidance to his family and all who hold him Dear.

#155 ·
Oh, this is a shock, to say the least. As in, didn't see that coming. Thanks for passing along this information Fishinbeatsworkin. I didn't know SHIG, but did exchange a few emails, and was lucky enough to obtain one of his ultra-light float tubes. His energy and dogged innovation for lightweight fishing gear will be missed. I hope his work inspires another to pick up the torch.

RIP _SHIG.

Sg

#156 ·
Oh, this is a shock, to say the least. As in, didn't see that coming. Thanks for passing along this information Fishinbeatsworkin. I didn't know SHIG, but did exchange a few emails, and was lucky enough to obtain one of his ultra-light float tubes. His energy and dogged innovation for lightweight fishing gear will be missed. I hope his work inspires another to pick up the torch.

RIP _SHIG.

Sg
Wow, I feel the same way. I have followed his pursuit of the perfect ultalight float tube through his posts here. Such a quality individual will live on through our memories of him. He always struck me as imaginative and personable. My condolences to his friends and family.
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.