Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cutter inverted midge swap

Swap 
6K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  Mike Wilson 
#1 ·

Ralph Cutter's challenge to come up with "the fly" representing an inverted emerging midge trapped beneath the surface film (see http://washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=47654) got me thinking about hosting a swap.

Are any of you designers interested in a swap to compare, contrast and field test our patterns? The ultimate goal would be to mix and match the characteristics (tying ease, visibility, hooking ability, fragility, etc) of each to help create the ideal fly. Feedback could be continually updated on this thread as our patterns evolve in regard to materials, tying, presentation, etc.

Flies mailed 6/28/08

riseform (Nick)...........................Cutter inverted emerger
obiwankanobi (Bob)....................dropped
Mike........................................Woven body bean bag emerger
Ron.........................................Cutter Chromie, Cutter Phrowley
spritualized50 (Eric)....................Inverted emerger

We'll be tying a total of 20 flies (including your own 4). Two flies of each size, size 14 and size 16. Due date June 21, 2008. Thanks to all who participated.

See less See more
#5 ·
Sadly, only 95 views in a one week trial balloon. Even though this is an atypical swap in terms of developing a fly rather than exchanging proven patterns, I had anticipated a bit more enthusiasm.

I think this fly has great potential to fill a niche for selectively feeding trout. It could be the fly that turns a frustrating day into a productive one. Given the plethora of tying and fishing talent on this board, I have no doubt that a durable, visible and effective fly could be created. Does anyone else see an opportunity here? I'll give it another week before I stop cheerleading.

#8 ·
Ok, it looks like we have at least 5 participants so I think it's worth a go. If more people want to join, please feel free.

Since this involves a new design, I'll put the due date out to summer solstice, June 21, 2008. That will give us time to tie, float, modify and perhaps fish our personal designs before swapping.

Being a small swap, I'm suggesting 4 flies each?
2 in size 18
2 in size 20

That should cover the usual sizes and provide a spare if you break one off on your first fish when field testing. Keep them in a special tin and you'll be able to refer back to the pictures to remember who belongs to what after a day of fishing. Let me know if it's too many flies or you'd prefer alternate sizes. If more people sign up we could cut down the number or just do one size.

I recognize you may not fish midges until fall, winter or early next spring, but ultimately we're looking for feedback from each participant. When you finally find yourself tossing midges to a rising pod of selective fish, please report back on results, likes, dislikes, hooking ability, visibility, fly longevity, how you fished it (greased tippet, as a dropper, etc). Remember, our goal is to create the perfect fly, which may borrow characteristics from each of our patterns. Thanks to those who have signed up.

#37 ·
I recognize you may not fish midges until fall, winter or early next spring, but ultimately we're looking for feedback from each participant. When you finally find yourself tossing midges to a rising pod of selective fish, please report back on results, likes, dislikes, hooking ability, visibility, fly longevity, how you fished it (greased tippet, as a dropper, etc). Remember, our goal is to create the perfect fly, which may borrow characteristics from each of our patterns.
I'm glad all the flies made it. Just wanted to emphasize the second goal of this swap with the above reminder quote.

#10 ·
Correct, that'd be twenty total.

I'm toying with several designs, so I'd open up that if someone can't decide between two design styles, you could submit one pair as 18's and the alternate design as a pair of 20's (same total number).

If any of you are doing a small hook hanging from a suspended body, feel free to use any size hook you prefer for the design.

#13 ·
I made my decision based on my personal experience as well. Most of my midge fishing is Montana tailwaters and spring creeks off season and it's usually size 18 or smaller. I don't do a lot of lake fishing. Let's see what the other members want and we'll make an easy decision.

My goal is to have sizes that we'll actually test and use rather than sit in a box somewhere because they're the wrong size. It's such a small group, we could even tailor them to individual member's needs.

#14 ·
i would say 14 and 16 would probably be right for most lakes around here. I was at rattlesnake last week, and the big bow i caught puked out some size 8's in my net so they can be quite big! But i am also kind of a newb at chronie fishing so this is just my observation from a small sampling of trips.

Eric

#16 ·
Are you guys ok with tying different sizes for the various members based upon what they're likely to fish? It'd still be two flies of each size (20 total flies each)

for Ron McNeal: size 14 and 16
for spiritualized50 (Eric): size 14 and 16
for riseform (Nick): size 18 and 20
Obiwan: Pending
Mike Wilson: Pending

If that's too much of a pain in the rear end, we'll just go with 14 and 16 for everyone. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to seeing the designs.

#17 ·
Hi All,

I'm a new-be so far as tying goes, so I wouldn't dare torture anyone w/ my "creations." lol
I watched the video - amazing - and I've read through both threads. The stuff you all have been turning out has been a great education. I try to do the same sort of analysis and problem solving in my own training-wheels sort of way.

I hope you all keep posting pics either in this thread, or in the non-swap original thread, for those of us who are interested in seeing the ways in which you all work your respective way through this process.

Thanks!

#18 ·
Swap update.

It seems I'm the only one who desired smaller sizes, so let's go to a uniform size for all participants to keep it less complicated.

It'll still be two flies of each size (size 14 and 16)
Due date is still June 21st. PM me for an address when you're ready.
Thanks.

#20 ·
I fished the pattern I took a picture of and posted in the Chironomid video post at Teal last weekend, it did very well. I caught 4 while I was using it, all were plants, but they hit it nicely and the fly sat in the water very well.

Reactions: Irafly
#27 ·
Given the situation right now with the cam on my vice, I will have to potentially drop out of this swap. The only hooks that I can tie on are spey hooks/streamer hooks due to their greater diameter. I can submit a spey or a streamer tie for each if everyone agrees or jump out of of this swap entirely.

#28 ·
Received Ron's flies yesterday. Another great job!

Bob (obiwankanobi) I feel for you with the vise issues. We can let you drop out without guilt (well, maybe just a little!) if there's no new cam on the horizon. Unless I hear otherwise from you or the others, I'll just return the extra flies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.