Damn Rain - back-up fishing trip?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Broderick Smith, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    Four of us had an annual trip planned with Brazda over on the Klick for tomorrow-Saturday but the 8" of rain wasn't so nice to the river. Just looked and its at record high flows.

So we're scrambling to think of a new fishing trip. Willing to fly to OR, ID, MT or drive across state, or head into BC... Can be trout, Steel, Salmon, whatever, we just want to fish. Like to swing flies for big fish.

Where would you go instead? We just researched 3 other WA state fishing ideas, all the rivers we picked are topping off, no bueno.

Eric Denny likes this.
  2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I don't believe the Deschutes is blown out for steelhead or trout.

The heavy rains didn't make it over the Cascades in Oregon. These folks keep tabs on the Deschutes and other steelhead rivers that wouldn't be that much of a drive for you guys.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/

3. i had the worst luck last year, every time we went to meet up with brazda or would meet him at the house the river would blow.

4. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    Allright well Deschutes is an option...looking at the Snake too. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Bass_Turds - i feel your pain now!

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  5. 5 trips last year. luckily i still have deposits on the books with him

6. dp

dp ~El Pescador

a lot of Big Kings in the Columbia below Priest Rapids - but I don't think they are fly fishable.
    they like the plugs and herring though

7. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yakima for trout?

8. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    I've got my annual trip with my father planned for this weekend out on the OP with Jim Kerr as well. Just got the go-ahead. If the weather holds it will be high and dropping, but fishable...

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

We're still getting a few showers in the mix today, but it looks like by tomorrow, there's going to be little or no precip here on the coast thru Sat (at this point in time). I'm calling Saturday a definite "Go!"
    I'm hoping the swell drops some more and cleans up, and that we get favorable winds so that I can go surfing tomorrow and Friday, but I also have a Coho back-up plan!

10. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

I just got back Monday Night with a couple buddies from Island Park ID, and the Madison, Firehole, and Henry's Fork were all soggy, but produced very good Numbers. It was a 12 hr drive on the nose from Vancouver WA. PM me if you want some late season info, Its windy....go deep, mend, strip, repeat. And it looks like it may start to dry out there this week according to weather.com

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Its already drying out here on the coast. High pressure is building, and the wind recently shifted. Now puffing lightly from the NE. Clouds are breaking up and the sun is out.
    Too early for any flu virus to be going around, so you all will have to be creative when calling in sick on Friday.;)

12. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Rain is the game.....I just returned from Idaho. Cloudy just like Washington for two weeks! Overcast, some rain too, never got above 65-70, lots of 45 degree days.....first time I didn't hit 80 in the last 10 years I've been going there.