date night

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by triploidjunkie, Aug 21, 2013.

1. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,274 / 0
    The kids were picked up at five. After having a rough day, Enlightened turned to me and said,"we're getting outta the house tonight!" Neither of us being big on the bar scene, she gave me two options: take her fishing or shooting. In her state of mind, I felt fishing would be more therapeutic. Between the wind and low water conditions, fishing our favorite spots hadn't been an option for nearly a week, but last night the wind died and the water was back up. Game on! I noticed nothing was rising as we launched our pontoons. Unusual, but I knew a hatch could come off at any minute. I tied a small damsel nymph on both of our lines to prospect with until a hatch happened. We tried for over an hour without a bump and still seeing no riseforms. Enlightened moved in closer to shore and began casting in tight to the riprap, knowing some big trout often nose along the rocks picking off tidbits. Suddenly she was hooked up, and when it jumped I was surprised to see a good bass on the end of her line. It ran right at her, trying to use her boat as cover, but she managed to keep it on long enough for me to get over for a quick pic. Her first bass of the year!
    I rowed back to shore, leaving Enlightened with a content smile on her face, to get more beer, and maybe catch a carp while I was waiting for a hatch. The slough beside the boatlaunch is usually full of em, but the water visibility was crap. I started just casting to swirls, hoping for the best(or at least a squawfish). The first fish I caught was a perch roughly the same size as my fly. Then a slimy squawfish. Then to my surprise, two decent bass.
    When I finally looked up, I realized the hatch had started without me. Trout were rising everywhere out along the edge of the current. I saddled back up in my toon and was soon into a feisty eighteen inch bow. We both caught a couple before the hatch stopped as suddenly as it started. Enlightened finished with two species, I found four(some kind of slam, I guess). IMG_20130820_185736.jpg
    Jslo, Irafly, constructeur and 11 others like this.
  2. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    You're a lucky fellow to have your lady request some fishing for a date night.
    triploidjunkie and enlightened like this.
  3. enlightened Active Member

grand coulee, wa
    Ratings: +182 / 0
    It was wonderful!!! About time success:) he was just too scared to take this gal target shooting;)
    Irafly, McNasty and triploidjunkie like this.
  4. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,069 / 0
    That's a fine looking smallie!
    triploidjunkie and enlightened like this.
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,664 / 0
    She's kind of cute. What is she doing with you.:p:p
    enlightened and triploidjunkie like this.
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,598 / 0
    No bees this time? I don't see a bee suit. What's up with that?... daring the bees or what? :)

Seriously, glad there where no dangerous mishaps during this trip.
  7. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    I'm likin' that Craig Campbell video! :D
    enlightened likes this.
  8. enlightened Active Member

grand coulee, wa
    he gets my pontoon in the water as I set up my rod. I'm careful along with tri:) we do not travel far.....and I'm seeing the allergist in October:) He watches my back:)
  9. enlightened Active Member

grand coulee, wa
    Kinda cute;) Just kidding. Actually the man is 7 years younger. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd date younger. It has been almost 3 yrs soon. Guess he is the one who has the ability to go younger;) Triploid is a gentleman:) He even knows to open the doors! Haha
    Freestone likes this.
  10. enlightened Active Member

grand coulee, wa
    And I'm turning 40 this year!:) go with the flow?:) yup. And fish:)))))
    Jslo likes this.
  11. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    40! No way! You look like you're in your 20s and I can see why the bees are attracted to you :D

(I really was looking forward to seeing your bee suit ;))
    enlightened likes this.
  12. Mark Yoshida Active Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +67 / 1
    Congrats E, nice catch. (I mean the fish) well Tri is the lucky one.
    Stay safe. He owes you a dinner date night!
    enlightened likes this.
  13. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Doesn't everyone? :) Good on You Trip!
  14. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Well, all older type men are gentlemen. At least I am. At my age being a gentleman is just about all I can be. I won't go any farther into this.
    enlightened likes this.
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    It's to bad that you really meet some nice people on this site. I just wish that I could meet up with them face to face sometimes. Don't get me wrong as I have met many, many other fly fishers from here and got along with all of them. If you don't believe me just ask Mumbles.
    enlightened likes this.
  17. enlightened Active Member

grand coulee, wa
    If I am ever in your neck of the woods, we will fish:)!
  18. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +685 / 0
    I was hopeing to see the bee suit & pontoon boat photos.
  19. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    There was a time during the feminist movement that women would get pissed if you opened a door for them. They also didn't wear bras because they claimed men made them wear them. Confusing period of time. It passed.
  20. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    Ditto here. Didja get her drunk?