Dave Scadden vs Watermaster

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Steezn290, Mar 12, 2013.

?

Which Boat is better?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2013.
  1. Watermaster Kodiak

62.9%
  2. Dave Scadden Rampage

37.1%
  1. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

I just talked to Dave Scadden and Water Master. Both boats are PVC and blaterless. What really matters is the fabric used underneath. But they are both very similar in construction. Both have "welded seems" (glued). But why I think mariavia boats are so durable is because just heat and pressure to make the perfect weld. (just my opinion) Both boats have a life time warranty.

Anyways the outcast is urthane coated nylon with seemless construction. But it does have an interior blatter. I stay away from blatter constrution. Because with my experience blatters shift around during movement and then you have to get it all lined up again to fill back up.

So the question is still Scadden or Watermaster. haha

2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

Urethane is the AIRE Bladder, not the coating. Outcast are PVC coated Nylon with some having Urethane bladders and some have Vinyl bladders:
    Here is the Commader
    BOAT SPECS

Inflated Size: 46" x 10'
    Tube Diameter: 11"
    Fabric: 500 PVC/1000 PVC
    Material Weight: 30/32 oz/sq.yd.
    AireCell Material: urethane
    Seam Construction: Welded
    Warranty: 5

Valve Type: (2)Summit II
    Weight: 35 lbs.
    Load Capacity: 500 lbs.
    Frame: none
    Anchor System: none
    Motor Mount: none
    Oar Type: 5' 2 piece

3. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

Sorry that is what I meant. But because it has a bladder. I'm out. haha

4. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

Not saying it isn't a good boat. It's all preference. That is what i'm seeing with northfork and watermaster. Construction similar. All preference. Which one will I like better? Who really knows. Just wanted some opinions and was hoping something would have helped me make a more educated decision. But I'll just go off how I feel! haha

5. Mossyback

Mossyback New Member

I have never rowed a Watermaster, and have but one single weekend under my belt in the Assault XX. I was a little skeptical of the boat and how it would handle, and being a somewhat novice on the sticks, I was generally just a little nervous about the whole affair. I was comfortable after about 30 seconds of beginning my float. No real crazy water, I floated Spruce Creek to Minnie P on the upper Hoh river. There is really just one significant drop above coon bar, and that was way more fun than I had expected it to be. Being able to simply stand up and fish/walk the boat down river was handy. I didn't purchase the anchor system, and I don't plan to. It is too easy to simply get shallow, stand up, and then pick boat up to place on shore. I really don't have anything bad to say about the boat. Scadden customer service, well, they don't manage inventory very well and people do wait for certain items. I'm waiting for upgraded oars right now. Otherwise, they do offer lifetime warranty and I don't have any reason to think they would not stand behind their products. I agree that this is a very subjective topic, and you will tend to hear that people like what they have. WM and NFO are both good boats based on my research prior to committing on the Assault. The rocker on the NFO boat was a strong selling point for me. The rockers just pass the eyeball test better for me as far as what a river runner should look like. Again, not having test driven a WM I can't tell you how much of a difference the rockers really make. Just my $.02, which ain't worth much.

Blue likes this.
  6. PT

PT Physhicist

Might be worth a call into Sotar just to ask if they build a similar boat.... They do plenty of custom work.

7. PT

PT Physhicist

I'm guessing NFO has sold quite a few more boats than WM. So, you'll probably get more responses from people saying they like NFO over BigSkyInflatables. I could come on here and tell you my boat is better than so and so's boat but that is too subjective. Kind of like which truck or 5 wt is best.

If you want to borrow my Kodiak, lemme know.

Steezn290 likes this.
  8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    PT, while this statement may be true I think most people purchase the one man boats as primarily a day fishing craft. If I have 250 pounds worth of me and my gear in the boat that would be about the maximum I could see carrying -primarily because of the limited space in which to haul gear. I think anyone would have difficulty loading either one of these boats near to its load capacity. I would however like to see the 90lb dog along on a float.

9. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

Thanks PT. I'm probably going to head over to the manufacturer and test one out next week. Has anyone ever traded in a drift boat or raft to get one of these? Or have both and Have you been disappointed?

10. PT

PT Physhicist

I'd rather not comment on which boats were bought and sold to make room for a different boat. Pretty sure it hasn't been a net $ gain. Going down a different boat path isn't a lifelong decision, either. Give it a try and enjoy it. Down the road you can tweak your arsenal based on the experience gained.

I think you'd have a kick ass time fishing out of a WM. Opens up a bunch of new water, most of which you can now fish because you won't be on the sticks.

Steezn290 likes this.
  11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I'm sold on my Renegade. I don't do any rivers excluding the lower Yak & a few meandering streams back home, but it works for me (and is fairly easy for an old fart to load & carry). Dealings with Dave have been excellent & I'm comfortable in it all day. I'm contemplating a Koffler pram, but only so I can take my pup with me . . . I feel like a selfish ass when I leave Hank at home.

12. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

Okay. Baxter is short, but he is long....plenty of room behind me for him
    [​IMG]

13. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    half a dog high, and a dog and a half long. Das Veeniedog! Fit right in here in Lederhosenland, alongside all the German Shepherds and the Bernese Mountain Dogs. It would be a real kick if we could teach all the dogs to howl every time the guy from Alpenfolk fires up his big alphorn!!:D

14. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Blue, you fishing with bait again?

15. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

Wieners are great for Big Carp;)

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  16. PT

PT Physhicist

:)

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hmmmmmmm, have you actually used the "Aire" built (or even Aire themself) pontoons? Reason I ask, I used to row them a lot (Aire that is). Had one of the original Aire Ocelots that came off the factory line back around 1989 (may have been 88, but keep thinking it was my first year of college). Never had the shifting problem, but I always kept them partially inflated. Owned quite a few after that (and kept that original one up until my back injury and had to sell it back around 2002). Never had that problem. Now on the cheaper end boats (and the lower end Outcasts) I experienced it a bit, but usually if they were totally deflated for a bit (which I tried not to do). But saying it has a bladder you're out means you've never dealt much with a quality boat (and not many will say Aire doesn't know their stuff building boats).

If you're gonna put the money out, go look into SOTAR or Maravia. In a different league when it comes to these boats, that's for sure.

18. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    The o

The original post was about selling a drift bloat and buying a one man pontoon of sorts (one that you can move with fins) so isn't Sotar or Maravia like apples and oranges? I get them for white water, but for just a one man fishing boat?
    I had the older Aire pontoons as well and never noticed a shifting thing. Baby powder helped if you needed to shift anything. But there is still zippers and possibility of sand or debris getting in.

I do find it interesting that this post is getting a lot of positive for Scadden, but the pole says the opposite though :)

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  19. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    No, not really. Most make one man boats. If you want "bullet proof", that's about as hardcore as you're going to find. I almost bit the bullet on a SOTAR Coho years ago, and almost again when one came up for sale here recently. Hold their value extremely well and are the best boats on the market. Hence the reason if you're going to spend the cash, why not spend it once? Plus, I have a bigger 10' Steelheader, pretty bulky in comparison, not much smaller then the SOTAR Coho, and I've used a small frame and used fins quite easily. Though I prefer one of my whitewater frames with full size oars on it.

Onto zippers, I only had to undo my zippers on my old Ocelot once out of necessity. Rest of time I'd do a cleanout just in case I had a buildup of debris. Again, all those whitewater miles I rarely ever had debris in the zippers.

I wouldn't say a dozen or so people commenting and just about 2 dozen voting constitutes much of anything in the world of what's good vs bad. Such a small sampling, isn't realistic at all for a decision. I still lay to the claim we're all different, so go row a few of those boats before you decide on anything. What I like vs you like will be totally different.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  20. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

I have had three pontoons with bladders. I don't have the luxury to keep mine inflated all the time! So they shift when I move from place to place. Just my experience. That is why I don't don't want a boat with bladders. If it was a raft that I was keeping inflated then I agree not such a big deal. But if it's something I'm deflating and moving a ton. I'll choose to go bladder less.

I never said they made bad boats! Don't put words in my mouth.

Bill Aubrey likes this.