Decent camping fly fishing spot?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Seeker, May 20, 2013.

1. Seeker New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Sorry, new here and I have a friend that's never been fly fishing before coming into town. Where I normally would fish really isn't good for a beginner. Any good recommendations on where we might camp next to or near a beginner type lake or river??? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Preferably on the west side. Thanks in advance! Randy
  2. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    Deception pass park. Beautiful and Pass lake as well as cranberry is right there. Even a shot for cutthroat from the beach. Excellent scenery. Reserve your spot online ahead of time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Seeker and Ed Call like this.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,236 / 9
    Randy, no idea where on the west side you are located, but Thomas has nailed one of the best options you likely will find. Take his advice, take your friend and take lots of photos!
  4. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +941 / 0
    That is what I was going to recommend, especially Cranberry. If your friend is from out-of-state, the scenery alone is worth the trip.
  5. Seeker New Member

Great idea! We've camped there before but it just slipped my mind, was thinking of a small lake or something similar. Thanks so much! I'd do a river but she's never tried waders before and I don't want to overwhelm her on her first time out.
  6. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +770 / 0
    Don't neglect the Rockfish Grill in Anacortes; close by Pass Lake, great beer & incredible food!
  7. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    Ditto Deception and Pass Lake. I'll also toss in another bonus many don't know about. Minutes from Pass Lake is Mount Erie, possibly the best view in the state that you can drive to. Spectacular sunsets over the Olympics, Strait of Juan de Fuca and the San Juans. Bring a good bottle and your favorite girl. Just off the back road to Anacortes.
  8. zeroforhire New Member

Snohomish, WA
    ^ great rock climbing as well.