Deschutes river report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bkerbs, Mar 28, 2013.

1. bkerbs Member

seattle,washington
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    I fished the deschutes for three day last week. Driving over Hood we knew the river would be in good shape. Since the snow storm slowed us down enough to stop at the Huck and have some breakfast for dinner. My friend came up through the dalles and although he didn't let his pontoon boat float down the river without him. For some reason he didn't think he needed to fill up his gas tank in the dalles. We got the call just before loosing cell service asking if maupin had a gas station open at 10:00 p.m. Ummm..no! None the less, he made it and we had a couple of good days on the river.

The first day was cold and breezy, which happens from time to time on the D. We pick up fish and had plenty of bug activity, we expected the fishing to be a bit better. The second day was beautiful central Oregon spring. Chilly in the morning and warm in the afternoon. We got into plenty of fish and had some nice resides to hand. The last day was great! Froze over night but quickly warmed up. We had take after take with lots of LDR. We only fish a couple of hours on the third day but overall I had 40 or so fish to hand. Super fun on a three weight! Another trip which the D took care of us.
  2. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    So cool, I wanted to get down there. Hoping for some big bugs.
  3. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I am jealous. I was skunked today after about four hours of hitting it hard and trying everything in my bag :(
  4. Breck Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Thanks for the report. I'll be making my usual annual Birthday trip to the D the first weekend in May.