Diaptomus franciscanus?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by VoglerLake, May 10, 2013.

1. VoglerLake

VoglerLake Michael Hayes

We have a small red copepod at Vogler Lake. I'm starting up a shore based micro trout hatchery here at the lake and would like to set up a continuous cultivation system for the this copepod. Any help would be appreciated. I may have enough for a fee.

2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Michael-

[​IMG]

Do they look like this?

3. VoglerLake

VoglerLake Michael Hayes

4. VoglerLake

VoglerLake Michael Hayes

Rodger,

To clearify my interest:

I've carried out some study on Asian hatchery methods and they have started to use continuous, as opposed to batch, algae/rotifer cultivation to support their tank water hygein. This would be the same system I suspect would be used to cultivate copepods as feed. Also, some farm trout are coming out of Chile with the deep red meat of a lake trout as opposed to the white meat of hatchery fish. They are advertising the difference as being from feeding the fish "red lake shrimp".

I intend to use, as much as possible, the permaculture method with this hatchery and to provide them (eventually) a purely natural feed. The fish in the lake usually have a high content of this red copepod in there gut and I suspect the copepod provides more benefits than just meat color. Also, fifty percent of all wild caught fish are rendered down to...fish food...! I have a chance, with this project, to develope a more sustanible hatchery model.

I have a budget of $35K for the initial micro hatchery start-up with the option for another $300K once I sell 1K worth of fish.

Folks with knowledge in entomology can play a large role in this effort and the hatchery could be developed to provide education on the importance of entomology to our environment/food.

I hope this is not TMI.

Thanks,

5. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Michael-

Your (initial) post implied a desire for the copepods inhabiting Volger Lake to be identified. If you would like my assistance, it will be necessary for you to either take a macro photo of one and post it here, or get a preserved specimen to me, so I can examine it with my microscope, and photograph the specimen for you with the USB camera attached my microscope's trinocular port. Best regards,

6. VoglerLake

VoglerLake Michael Hayes

Thanks Rodger, I'll work on it.