Diaptomus franciscanus?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by VoglerLake, May 10, 2013.

1. VoglerLake

VoglerLake Michael Hayes

Home Page:
    We have a small red copepod at Vogler Lake. I'm starting up a shore based micro trout hatchery here at the lake and would like to set up a continuous cultivation system for the this copepod. Any help would be appreciated. I may have enough for a fee.

2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Michael-

[​IMG]

Do they look like this?

3. VoglerLake

VoglerLake Michael Hayes

Home Page:
  4. VoglerLake

VoglerLake Michael Hayes

Home Page:
    Rodger,

To clearify my interest:

I've carried out some study on Asian hatchery methods and they have started to use continuous, as opposed to batch, algae/rotifer cultivation to support their tank water hygein. This would be the same system I suspect would be used to cultivate copepods as feed. Also, some farm trout are coming out of Chile with the deep red meat of a lake trout as opposed to the white meat of hatchery fish. They are advertising the difference as being from feeding the fish "red lake shrimp".

I intend to use, as much as possible, the permaculture method with this hatchery and to provide them (eventually) a purely natural feed. The fish in the lake usually have a high content of this red copepod in there gut and I suspect the copepod provides more benefits than just meat color. Also, fifty percent of all wild caught fish are rendered down to...fish food...! I have a chance, with this project, to develope a more sustanible hatchery model.

I have a budget of $35K for the initial micro hatchery start-up with the option for another $300K once I sell 1K worth of fish.

Folks with knowledge in entomology can play a large role in this effort and the hatchery could be developed to provide education on the importance of entomology to our environment/food.

I hope this is not TMI.

Thanks,

5. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Michael-

Your (initial) post implied a desire for the copepods inhabiting Volger Lake to be identified. If you would like my assistance, it will be necessary for you to either take a macro photo of one and post it here, or get a preserved specimen to me, so I can examine it with my microscope, and photograph the specimen for you with the USB camera attached my microscope's trinocular port. Best regards,

6. VoglerLake

VoglerLake Michael Hayes

Home Page:
    Thanks Rodger, I'll work on it.