DIY Homemade $6 Stripping Basket

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by golfman44, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Ryan Mills New Member

Tulalip, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Here's my Ikea Special. Too many holes for sure, but i like the ability to lift the front to quickly drain the basket. I probably need to blunt the tips on the plastic golf tees too, but i haven't skewered myself yet so they might just stay as is. Last trip out, my hand blew the one missing tee off while stripping, so the correct placement (for me) is working itself out via natural selection.

Attached Files:

golfman44 likes this.
  2. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,090 / 0
    I like that one Ryan! Being a golfer myself that has a great touch to it haha. That being said I would probably stab myself a few times. God knows I've done that enough on the course when I frustratingly grab pencils/tees in my pocket after a bogey.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,535 / 9
    Nice looking DIY basket there.
  4. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    wow dude, that is the best homey job I've seen. My kids have that and step on that a million times a week and I stare at that stool doing #2 without thinking twice!
    Mine is a homey job too, a home depot dark grey 16" x 8" x 8"d hard plastic storage container with 3"h x 1/8"thick weed wacker line inside glued in holes using 5200. But I like yours better due to the contour sides and size, but I will still use the weed line..
    Good job mang!
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I have also used weedwhacker line, pushed thru holes that fit the line tightly, and welded to the bottom, using a soldering iron to melt the stubs flat and weld them into the plastic bottom of the basket. I put the cut sections in really hot water first, and straightened them out. They stayed fairly straight when they cooled off.

So far I like the zip ties better than the weedwhacker line, since they don't come loose. I had a couple of the "welds" come loose on the weedwhacker line and had to melt them back down. Then I covered each weld on the bottom side with Marine Goop. Now they don't pop out. That basket was a little bit small, and I don't use it now that i've made one about the "right size." Otherwise, I still might be using it.

Weedwhacker line and zip ties flex and don't jab my knuckles that badly if I strip a little too wildly while trying to get a fast retrieve.
  6. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +220 / 0
    nice baskets! I've thought a lot about making myself a new one out of that stool. I like the curve. In mine, I just use zip-ties and they work really well, although your sharpie lids look way better. I also have to have a bunch of holes in it since I use it on the OR coast there you get that occasional wave that nearly crashes over you.
  7. troutpounder Active Member

everett
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    you guys have inspired me to make a stripping basket tonight! The one I use now is the packable mesh basket but my line always tangles and makes me want to throw my rod in the drink.....
  8. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    nice basket, better then mine. you may want to put the buckle on your off hand side in case ya need to get rid of it for any reason. just a thought.
    Outlaw
  9. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    hey, where do you guys get your belt buckles for your baskets? I just use a bungee with hooks but it moves too much..
  10. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,090 / 0
    I'm just using a 2nd belt (in addition to my wading belt) that I bought 10 years ago
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I'm using a nylon snap-click buckle on a nylon web belt that I ripped off of a rotten life preserver I found washed in on the beach. It was just the right length!
  12. Josh Stroud Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    This is awesome, I wish I was that creative. I could really save some money...:)
  13. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    This is the best looking basket i've seen so far. The curve really helps, be nice if the cones was slightly bigger and be nice to have a slot on top of the basket to hold your rod. I already have Orvis basket, maybe i should make one.
  14. Catching Nemo New Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've been thinking of making one of those for years, ever since I bought the stool for my daughter 4 years ago.

But I could not do anything with it until she and our son stopped using the stool. They've just about outgrown them now. Time to do some building...
  15. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +222 / 0
    The kids stool is a great basket....never seen the sharpie cones before but it looks great. I would add a few more holes in the bottom to drain out the water from waves that crest over the top of the basket.....
  16. Brooks Werner Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374901300.095431.jpg

Hope this pic works, using Tapatalk. Posted this pic on another thread, but here's my homemade job. Same Ikea stool, dremel a couple slots for an old wader belt and a cutout on each side to lay my rod across when I need both hands. My hot glue job is coming apart after a year, so I may give that Sharpie cap trick a try.
  17. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    I read in one of Lefty's books that you want to keep a little line in your stripping basket at the end of the cast as this makes you stripped line fall into your basket easier.
    I made myself a stripping basket last year. I used wine corks with the tops rounded off. Worked great for the first year but for some reason the corks started grasping the line this year. It got so bad that it almost pulled the rod out of my casting hand a few times. It was like getting hog tied. Read about plastic wine glasses as line keepers. I just removed the bottoms and hot glued them to my corks and then filled the hole down the center with hot glue. So far so good. They are a little tall wished I would have seen the sharpie cap idea before that looks sweet.
  18. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I got my Linekurv the other day--very worth it. Line shoots like a dream. Now I just have to deal with the fact that the coating on my Rio running line with my versi tip is wearing away, again.

Ugh.

J