DIY Stripping Basket

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I saw this on another forum. I thought I'd share this as I know lots of folks like to make their own baskets.
    This is the best DIY basket I've seen. A bit more expensive but a much nicer end product in my opinion then the Ikea step stool models I've seen.
    Might be a good winter project for someone looking to make their own basket.
    SF

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/917113/diy-stripping-basket-final-product

dryflylarry and Jeff Dodd like this.
  2. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Great idea with those cones. Someone should put the cones in an IKEA basket...would be perfect

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

That's pretty pro.

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Very nice! I like the conduit bracket rod-holder idea.

As far as adhesives that work on polyethylene plastic (if you need to glue down the cones), what I have done on my fishing kayaks is to simply rough up the mating surfaces with 80 grit or coarser, so as to insure a good mechanical bond. Not much will stick to smooth polyethylene, so it must be roughed up. I have used Marine Goop, and also contact cement, successfully this way.

5. Brendan

Brendan New Member

Golfman, That's a great idea. I have been holding off on buying/making a stripping basket but I think the combination of the Ikea stool and those caulking cones look good enough to finally bite. If I get there this weekend I'll post some pics.

6. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

plaegreid likes this.
  7. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

8. (BigDave)

(BigDave) Member

Back in what seems like a former life I used to screen print on a off brand of custom frisbees. We had to flame treat them to get the ink to stick, the injection molding process leaves a microscopically smooth surface that the flame treating takes care of. Might be the same for the injection molded tubs and basins and adhesives... Just quickly flame the surface with a propane torch or similar.

9. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

10. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

It ain't jack until it has a hello kitty sticker on it.

#hellokitty2016 #asianinvasion #cutiepiefly #yolo #bieberfever

Dipnet likes this.
  11. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

The cones come five per package. Five would probably work better on the IKEA stool anyway becaue they are pretty small compared to a dishpan.

12. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Don't forget to put 3 dozen holes in the bottom of your new basket....

I joke

13. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

My posts are done with popsicle molds. I should throw up a pic

14. Yes you should. This is great info. Keep it coming and thanks for the ideas ('cept the three dozen holes) ;)

15. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

16. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

You Guys Spend way too much time on accessories just go fishing

17. Porter

Porter Active Member

This Danish built one has intrigued me some.

[​IMG]

18. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

Wow, the Danes make some goofy hats! :D
    Seriously though, that is really cool. Kinda pricey at 71USD before shipping. This video shows it in action: Link

19. Porter

Porter Active Member

Thinking drill holes in a chunk of plastic and plug/glue using 150lb mono?

20. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

This looks interesting, I've seen similar custom versions. I would worry about using it when the wind is blowing though, could be a real problem keeping your line out of the water.

Porter likes this.