Do I need to start carring a trout net?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jesgal, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jesgal Jessica

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Landing fish using my hands is what I've always done. On the Methow river last month I realized that using a net has to be easier on the fish. Less stress and struggle for them, I felt mean and guilty.

I wear either a chest pack or a lanyard. Wearing less gear feels so much better, all of that stuff hanging on my body drives me crazy.

So how does one set themselves up to carry a net with a chest pack or lanyard? I'm perplexed. Should I keep using my hands to land the fish?

2. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    I use a chest pack and a magnetic release attached to the neck strap. Most of your chest packs will have a loop on the back of the neck pad to attach the release
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  3. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Get one of those retractable holders strap it to your back. There's usually a loop in the back of the vest.
  4. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    Since I started using a rubber bag landing net I will never do it any other way. I handle the fish less and am able to keep it in the water at all times. In most instances the rubber bag seems to slip the hook out of the fishes mouth without any need for forceps. I use a Patagonia Stealth Atom sling pack and it has a loop for attaching a net.
  5. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,150 / 0
    I agree with bitterroot. A net makes it much easier to release the fish because you don't need to deal with the flop factor. Plus, if you hold the fish so the mesh is between your hand and the fish, you are much less likely to harm the fish and removing the hook is much easier.

I use a net for both stillwater and river fishing. I prefer the "ghost nets" because they have the aspect of rubber yet the bag is clear (kinda) so the theory is the fish don't freak as much when they see the thing. It may not make a difference in a river but it certainly does in a lake.
  6. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +407 / 0
    Do not go alone and make the other dude carry everything.
  7. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +678 / 2
    Pinch down the barbs on all of your hooks and you will be able to pop hooks out without touching the fish.
    David Loy, ICHI and Kent Lufkin like this.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,150 / 0
    I believe the other guy is called a "Gilly". :)
  9. Brian White Recovering Bugmeister/Troutlandish?

Over time, I have gradually realized the advantages of a net (after losing some big fish when they break off right as I am trying to awkwardly get them to hand, or feeling like I overhandle fish while trying to release them). While I have resigned myself to bringing my net, i still don't like schlepping it. When I put it on a magnet at the back of my vest, it keeps hitting me in the face when I lean over to do something.

With a face like mine, the last thing i need is to get hit in the face more than I already have....

I will be working on using my waist pack more, but will still need to figure out a way to have the net on me without it being a real annoyance.
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  10. deansie Member

seattle
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    get a net, easier on the fish and easier to land...I fall under the less gear is better mantra too and clip the net to a belt loop on the backside of my waders.
  11. FerrousTortoise New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    I fished a net for the first time this year. I noticed a lot of the fish would come unhooked in the net so I spent a lot less time handling the fish to release it.
  12. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I had this same question, I just tuck the handle in my wadding belt. I like high speed low drag fishing, no packs, no vest, recently gifted a stripping basket for weedy days.

My net allows for much less handling, fish can stay in the net in the water, recover swim away with minimal harm, and or I kneel down in 1' of water. Though that's tough on waders on beaches.
    If I need to get the forceps fish just relaxes in the net, in the water at least partially wet, till released. In hind sight wish I had started with a net.
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,412 / 0
    I tried to use a net, but the handles are so short. I have trouble bending down so a long handled net should be the way I should go. But a net with a long handle will just get in the way. Shit, it seems that no matter what I come up with, it is all wrong. I still do it the old way, Pick up the fish and handle it. At least all my hooks have pinched barbs though they don't need to be in Montana. I seem to get a hook in my hand every time I get out there.
  14. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    This and a Ketchum Release saves time and slime. Add a hemo for bigger hooks. I have nets, but usually only carry one in a boat or tube.
  15. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    I do both. I like a magnetic or mechanical catch clipped to my vest neck D ring or chest pack neck strap to hold my net. I use a coiled lanyard clipped down low on a vest or chest pack waist belt to secure the net from getting lost if it gets pulled off in the brush or if it gets dropped in the water. Also mind how you use retractors. The ones you can use for a net have a strong pull and have some mass to them. If clipped up high and the net slips out of your hand, it or the retractor if clipped to the net so you can use the cable brake can whack you in the head; experience speaking.