NFR Don't grab raccoons

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jul 5, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,019 / 1
    You can't make this stuff up.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2013/jul/05/lesson-learned-dont-grab-raccoon/

In the Navy on Midway Island after a night of libations a fellow sailor wanted to emulate a pirate. He put a gooney bird on his shoulder as a make-do parrot.

It didn't talk, it didn't want a cracker and the next morning the side of his face and shoulder were all scratched up by the bird.

I think the lady in the raccoon video needs a .38 special with shotshells as that should quell the rising raccoon rebellion.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. Brett Angel Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Agreed, but she could also use some common sense and a dog bigger than a pepperoni stick.
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +790 / 1
    She got all dressed up for the interview didn't she...? Not quite 15 minutes of fame, and not a subject I would want to be famous for...city folk...:rolleyes:
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  4. Paul_ Active Member

La Center
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Yee Yee Yee, Live Action-
    jjaims and triploidjunkie like this.
  5. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +375 / 0
    Heh, reminds me of the time I was camping at Cape Lookout State Park in Oregon with my Siberian Husky, Nanda.

Late one night, after eating dinner and enjoying an ample share of adult libations, I was seated at the picnic table pretty close to the fire.

Now my dog was black-furred with a white neck, muzzle and mask and when camping I'd keep her on a run-line at the front of the campsite.

So I'm sittin' there, enjoying the glow of the campfire and my own alcohol-induced glow when I look down to see my dog sittin' next to me. I reach down to gently pat her on the head when suddenly I realize that my dog is fast asleep out on her run-line and this dog has a black, not white, mask!!

Holy shit!!! I'm about to give loving ear scratches to a big old raccoon! I yell, jump up and so does the raccoon! He races off into the brush and the dog finally wakes up and wonders what the hell is going on! :)
  6. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +375 / 0
    I've always liked the good samaritan who wanted to get this poor lost pet back to it's owner:
    catfound001.jpg
    Steve Call, Tim Cottage, GAT and 4 others like this.
  7. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +127 / 0
    What the f***
  8. WT Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    "I'm bit like 15 times or something."
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,704 / 0
    City folks have no idea what wild animals look like.
  10. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +321 / 0
    That joke was played well. I heard this last year. The phone calls from people were recorded and i don't think i laughed that hard in a long time. Most said it was a possum and to let it go.. a lady called and said it looked like her lost cat. I about fell over.

Somebody find the audio for that lost cat poster and we can all LOL.
  11. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    I had a friend back in Montana who was out running his dogs when they cornered a 1 little ol coon. Score- Coon still free, 2 dogs made a trip to the vet
  12. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,334 / 0
    How the hell is that newsworthy?
  13. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    "You'll only see this story on channel 8!" -- yeahhh... there's a reason for that!
  14. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    well.... it's Portland, after all.
    Krusty and jjaims like this.
  15. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Well the thing is that raccoons, being raccoons, are unaware of the undesirability of their own behavior. They are unpredictable, irascible beyond belief, really tough and nasty little critters in general, and (as Alex points out) much like a bi-polar city dweller from Portland that I am trying to forget about. :rolleyes:
  16. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +683 / 0
    Coons are bad enough, but it's damn lucky it wasn't a Badger . . .

Years ago back home while camped at East Fork Reservoir (aka Rock Creek Dam in local-speak, the headwaters of the East Fork of Rock Creek), I was fishing streamers at night along the shoreline. I had landed a Rainbow that I was going to keep for breakfast, but as I reached back for my basket I couldn't feel it. Reluctant to turn-on a light, I fumbled around for a bit, finally picked-up my flashlight & discovered a stealth Porkie contentedly gnawing on the leather strap. Had I reached 6 more inches, I would have experienced a painful end to a great camping trip.
  17. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +609 / 0
    I dunno...biting one of those yappy little dogs, and the person who owns it, seems like perfectly reasonable behavior to me.
  18. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,670 / 0
    Slow news day.

A raccoons frequent our backyard quite frequently... yesterday, actually. You never want to mess with the suckers because they can and do carry rabies.

Almost 20 years ago, a six toed cat showed up at our doorstep. We already had two cats and decided he would be the outside cat... that latest a week. We named him Cahill because he was a light tan color.

Evidently, he was raised by raccoons. A few years after he became our third house cat, we heard dogs going nuts one night. We turned on the backyard porch light and their was a family of raccoons sitting on the fence. Cahill was sitting on the fence with the family, calm as could be.

We live in a "city" but this place is more like an animal preserve. On any given day, you'll see urban deer munching on the plants in someone's raised beds that the deer must figure is provided for them. One day a coyote was strolling down our street.

One winter, a possum took up residence under our deck. We didn't bother the critter and he didn't bother us.

A young cougar was in town for a few months. The ODF&W tried to trap it but failed. Eventually, the cougar moved on.

In fact, we see more wild critters in the city here than we ever did when we lived in NE Oregon.

A few blocks over, a wolf has been seen sneaking around the neighborhood. They say the animal is almost as large as a buffalo and mean as hell. 37 citizens have gone missing.

(That last bit is a lie but we haven't had a wolf thread going in a couple of weeks :))
    Steve Call, Old Man and David Loy like this.
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Gene, it seems like the critters all learn that we aren't allowed to hunt inside the city limits. so they don't worry and just eat our fruit and vegetables, landscape shrubs, and our pets. This goes on year-round in some urban areas.
    Outside the city limits, they seem to know when its time to disappear.
  20. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I had a strange little creature come into my yard yesterday and bark at me. I couldn't figure out if it was the runt from a litter of toy-mini hyenas, or some kind of wingless bat. Ugly little thing with a nasty attitude. I told it that if it came any closer and barked at me in my own yard again, I'd stomp it. It just kept barking and acting tough at a safe distance. I think it belongs to a neighbor who is visiting their vacation property. Soon it will be going home.