Don't leave fish to find fish

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Apr 2, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Don't leave fish to find fish is a good motto to heed. I fished yesterday with Ira and we rowed thru a good pod of fish to go to a "bigger fish locale". Turned out the bigger fish location appeared to have a winterkill or some other odd thing going on. Water was murky and no fish activity seen at all.

We left "no fish" to find fish and ended up back where the fish were swirling all over the place earlier in the day. Caught a few and had my leader broke once by a strong fish that wouldn't even let me lift my rod up. I didn't want that fly anyways. I think I landed 5 before I moseyed home. Ira stuck around longer and caught more fish.

Ticks are out. Ticks are out. Ticks are out. I hate those little things. I picked 4 off either the back of my neck or my stubble head hair. All were adults and if I had any little ones on me I couldn't tell (yet).

One other bit of advice. If fishing 13 feet deep make sure you are using a slip float. I had one slender float that reminded me of a panfish float that I wanted to watch tip up and then go under. First fish in the deep water reminded me why I should not have selected it. It was so slender it didn't have a hollow peg to run the line thru.

Ticks are out. Ticks are out. Ticks are out. Hemostats are good for bending barbs down and also sending ticks to the Promised Land.

Caveat: No lakes were mentioned in the creation of this report as my 12 Step sponsor wouldn't let me squeal out names and locations. I sure hope this new program works.

Irafly, Mark Mercer, GAT and 2 others like this.
  2. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Glad you have sponsor who walks the walk, anonymous locations are always a great idea especially in press, radio and films.

And leaving fish to find fish was one of my favorite Georgia fishing partner's biggest vice. But,then again, he owned the boat we were fishing.

3. Donato

Donato Member

You dudes are going to make those fish Chrono shy. That motto also applies to deer hunting and bird hunting to a certain extent.

4. Islander

Islander Steve

Were there any ticks? :D

5. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Nice tick report!

GBeeman

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Zen, buy some permethrin clothing spray or dip. Treat your clothes, socks, shoes, caps and even your waders* and you'll most likely never see another tick.

(* I dry my waders for several days after treating to make sure the permethrin is well-bonded to the fabric.)

7. GAT

GAT Active Member

They were fishing somewhere that is infested with ticks.... stillwater ticks.

I've also tried living fish for larger fish with the same results as you -- I ended up exactly where I started.

8. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

HATE those nasty bastards. had one on me some years ago. lucky to pry it off with wife's finger nails.
    glad you got trouts to make up for it.

9. zen leecher aka bill w

I really didn't see any on Monday as I had my eyes closed real tight once I felt a "crawly thing" on my neck.

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

What's a Tick?

11. zen leecher aka bill w

Are you serious? Or.... maybe you've been on the we(s)tside too long.

12. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Found two on me yesterday after fishing.

13. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

It's that facial thing where your muscles twitch. . .

GBeeman