Doug Rose: A Celebration of a Life Well Lived and Fished

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Rohrbach, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Sunday April 7, 2013 at 1PM
    Come and share a chance to talk and tell stories about Doug with his Friends!

Meet at Indian Island Park, Scenic Route 116 , across from Entrance To Naval Base Port Hadlock, wa. 98339.

Please bring: your own lunch and beverage for yourself and extra if you would like to share, your rod and reel and your version of a Keta Rose or a fly of your choice with name and contact information.

Indian Island and Marrowstone Island were places that Doug often fished for Sea-Run Cutthroat and Coho Salmon.

See you Sunday
    Friends of Doug Rose DSC03453 2-1.JPG

Islander, flybill, Jeff Dodd and 2 others like this.
  2. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Great photo. Doug would be pleased. Wish I could be there, but I have to work.

3. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Thanks for the info Steve, I'll be there.

4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Yes, Thank you. Will do my best to be there, with a Keta Rose

5. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I will most likely be there

6. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Wish I could make it, but I have to work. I'll pour a scotch and flip through "The Color of Winter" when I get off work...

Islander likes this.
  7. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

I will be there....

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I'll be there, even though I'll likely end up roping myself with my wild wrong-armed casting!
    That's a nice beach for this.
    I think I'm missing two of the ingredients for the Keta Rose, but I'll try to get some.
    Hairline UV minnow belly, and pale blue bucktail.
    Re-reading Steve's original post, I see that its OK to tie a different pattern. Hmmmmm.

9. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Jim,

I didn't have the buck tail either, but you're only using a few strands. I subbed in some light blue craft fur. As for the minnow belly - UV crystal flash would be fine, or any other white/pearl/clear synthetic fiber with a bit of flash.

Rob

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Jeff Delia asked me to remind you all to bring your own folding chairs that day, maybe an extra if you have one too. That will help.

11. Jim Lawrence

Jim Lawrence New Member

Doug had made reference to an old beach log that was a special spot to him and others. I think I know the one as it's a special spot for me as well. Maybe we could place some kind of memorial there as a rememberance to him. Any ideas out there?

12. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Nicholas and I will be there a bit after two. We'll bring our own rocks!

Leland.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  13. Marty Leith

Marty Leith Member

Plan to cast a Keta for/to/with Doug from Victoria with the family that day. Thanks Steve. Miss everyone. More now...

14. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Thank you for the heads-up. I will be there.

Steve

15. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

If you have a Medalist reel, it might be nice to fish it April 7. I'll be fishing mine.
    Jack

16. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

The Indian Island Naval Magazine Navy base is on Flagler Road.
    From Port Hadlock take Oak Bay Road (South) under one mile to Flagler Road.
    Turn left on Flagler Road.
    After crossing the high bridge over the channel,(Port Townsend Ship Canal, aka: Government Cut), The Navy base is on the left. The park is immediately on the right.

17. Jim Wallace

Thanks, Bob, I was wondering if it was that park just over the bridge there.

Rob, thanks for the materials substitution info.

18. Jim Wallace

Steve, that photo you posted of Doug fishing in the rain is a good reminder for us to be sure to bring our rain gear. :cool: