NFR Drive it like you have a pair, or... it's all fun and games until someone blows a gasket

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

Man, that is tempting. I have taken my wife's Mazda 3 fishing a few times and wish I had my truck. I have managed to bottom that thing out near the Quillute and make the side look like it got "keyed" out by banks lake looking for access to a remote place to launch a float tube.

Needless to say, She isn't super happy with me using her car for an explore vehicle for my fishing pursuits. Always ends bad. I will remember the offer for the Toyota.

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    So how was fishing, Bill?

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Glad it turned-out alright, Bill. The worst of my mechanical misfortunes occurred way back in the Montana boonies . . . a PITA at the time, but memorable some 40-years later, lol. I, too will stick with gas rigs; I don't tow anything heavy & I can work on them.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I always thought that too, then I purchased one, a CTD. I'm telling you that before long, it is like a mother's heartbeat, making your driving experience Zen like and one with the road. F-150... isn't that an accessory? ;)

5. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Dammit. I just spit my morning coffee reading that. Funny stuff.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:

Who cares about the fishing when there's a chance to break Sage rods and Ford trucks?

bennysbuddy likes this.
  7. ray@montanariverlodge

ray@montanariverlodge Member

Backcountry breakdowns are a pain. Had an older (76) chevy pickup that quit on me way way back in the boonies. Fuel pump gave out, so we took the gas tank off and strapped it to the hood. Gravity got us home! Carrying a good supply of tools, extra gas, and duct tape can be helpful.

constructeur likes this.
  8. Jim Ficklin

Let's see . . . shift linkage retainer came off while fording a COLD Montana mountain creek in July one time; Had barely enough room to catch an occasional breath while wiring it back together & was the prettiest shade of blue when I got out. Uncle wouldn't even stop to let me warm up; away we went looking for high-range cattle. Sheared-off a hub on an old Chev pick-up; long walk for parts after that one. Snapped a coil spring on an old Bronco; loosened the spring retainer & re-mounted the longest piece. Came out crooked, but made it out. Lost a constant-velocity shaft u-joint on the same Bronco; came out in front wheel drive. Became the brakes for a guy who lost his coming down a series of nasty switchbacks; that was an interesting trip to the bottom. Don't get me started on horse adventures . . .

constructeur likes this.
  9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Geez, Jim.... I'll need to remember to never ride in a rig with you! :eek:

:)

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:

I want Gene to drive.

11. Tom Summerfield

Tom Summerfield New Member

My Touareg TDI is diesel and dead quiet. Most people think it's a gasser until I tell their otherwise or see that I'm getting nearly 30 MPG in a 5K lbs SUV.

12. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I carry a DeLorme Inreach SE satellite transceiver, and can call for help almost anywhere on the planet. I got it cause I'm old and spend time in the sticks alone, where there's no cell coverage....the old lady worries about me. I much prefer fishing alone because it never fails that the fish are going crazy at dusk, and the idiot I've brought along has to go home because its his anniversary or some stupid other excuse. If the fish are biting, or I decide to head to another mountain lake I can let her know the old fart is ok. Hell, she can see my location on the map when I text or email her. Just gotta remember to stash it in the woods somewhere if I want to spend the day in some backwoods tavern.

Steve Call likes this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

With all the stuff he can fix, I absolutely want him riding with me.

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    About the only trouble I have when up in the back country of Montana is trouble with tires. These gravel roads are pure hell on tires. And most roads off the main roads are gravel.

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I blew up the tranny in my pickup a third of the way down Shoemaker. I knew exactly what it was when it happened. I could have limped it back up to the top where there was cell service and called a tow or continue down to the bottom and go fishing. I continued on down. By the time I got to the bottom the tranny sounded like a rock crusher. I went fishing and the next day a buddy drove me in to Clarkston where I got in touch with a towing company. They came down with a flat bed and took the truck to a dealership in Lewiston. The tow cost somewhere between 4 and 5 hundred. The rebuilt tranny cost about 3 grand installed. Stuck at the bottom of Shoemaker grade fishing for summer runs isn't priceless.

constructeur likes this.
  16. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Kerry, that's determination. I sure hope you caught some fish for the price involved!

17. Jim Ficklin

When you grow-up a mile high in the Montana Rockies, you tend to visit some pretty tough-to-get-to places over the course of a hunting & fishing career. You also tend to carry enough tools & repair items to ensure that you return. The only breakdowns I've had in WA state were a nut that rattled loose from a shock tower (I had one that fit in my tool box) & a burst upper radiator hose; the palm out of a leather glove & duct tape got me back to Dayton. I knew a guy who had an old Willy's pick-up. While coming down the same nasty switchbacks I referenced above, the top of his steering shaft broke & the steering wheel was suddenly unattached. He pulled the shroud, attached 2 pipe wrenches that were in his truck & managed to steer his way to the bottom. Dad & I went in & towed him out. All that being said, I'd much rather experience mechanical or other failures in the mountains, as opposed to out on the water (but when I had a jet boat, I carried tools & necessities on that, also; just never needed them although I helped a few other boaters.).

18. ray@montanariverlodge

ray@montanariverlodge Member

The best idea is to take the kids! We headed for a high lake about two or three miles off the end of a rough track requiring four wheel drive. Had a terrific hike and returned from the too-shallow fishless lake about three-thirty. The chevy started fine, but when I dropped it into drive, nothing! After several tries, I realized we were stuck. I checked the time and realized that my oldest son, a miler and cross-country runner in his junior year of high school, had just barely enough time to jog the seven or eight miles to the main gravel forest service road, hopefully catch a ride the remaining ten miles to the highway, get to the nearest town another seven miles away, and catch the only tow service before they closed. Simple!
    Well, about six-thirtyish here comes the tow truck. Yep, my brains and my kid's brawn did the trick. So the truck driver walks over and says "lets take a look" or some technical investigative comment like it. "Hey buddy" says the mechanical genius, "did you notice the transfer case shift lever was in neutral? I said "Aaaahhhhh" or something equally intelligent.
    So, haven't been able to get the kids to go fishin' again, but that little trick can work at least once!