Driving To Alaska From Oregon With A Rifle

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by fishingAK14, May 4, 2013.

1. fishingAK14 Member

The Last Frontier
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I am moving back to Alaska from Oregon this October and will be taking a 30-06 and shotgun. Has anyone done this before and what, if anything do I need to do ahead of time to get over the boarder then back into the US with ease?
  2. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +188 / 0
    Don't. Ship it before you leave.
  3. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    the ATF website:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Or can do Canadian Customs paperwork when cross into BC
  4. SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Taking guns across the border is not that big of an issue if you are prepared. You need to complete a registration form in triplicate, pay a fee (I think it was $25), and be prepared to have your guns examined. They should ideally be locked in a travel case and must have trigger locks on them. You will spend a little extra time at the border to get everything processed, but it isn't that bad. Just remember not to sign the forms until asked to or you will be completing them again.

Jim
  5. SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
  6. fishingAK14 Member

The Last Frontier
    Thanks for the info guys. I would like to take it with my if possible, and not have to ship. Getting the paperwork done ahead of time with be on my list of things to do. Looking forward to another trip up the ALCAN.
  7. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +797 / 1
    Considering the long friendly relationship Canada and the US have shared, you would think transporting firearms would be easy. Heck, both make big $$ from all the sportsman traveling to/from. Having to ship or fill out forms in triplicate is bull shit. A firearm and box of ammo should be no different than a 5 weight and box of flies... just sayin.
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  8. FishinJoe New Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    When I was in the Coast Guard I heard a few dos and don'ts about traveling through Canada. I've heard that you'll be just fine when traveling with a rifle or shotgun, just declare it at the border. Handguns however are a different issue and not worth trying to take through. Hope this helps.
  9. gofish101 Member

BC
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    In Canada we look at a firearm and ammo as being a lot different than a 5 wt rod and flies. From what I understand the US government thinks the same way as I have to get a permit from the ATF to cross into the US..

I hope you enjoy the trip fishingAK14 it is a beautiful drive I did it years ago and would love to do again. Some great fishing up north as well. Our gas is $$$ way more than down south so be prepared for that little shocker.
  10. fishingAK14 Member

The Last Frontier
    This will be my third time North on the ALCAN, and I have been South twice. Each and every trip provides its challenges. I have not taken a firearm before and want to try to make it as smooth as possible. I love the drive and to anyone wanting to go, I have experienced the most animal activity in mid to late May. Plus there isn't as many tourists that early. Amazing drive either way.
  11. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    I've done the above and it was a pretty smooth process. Just read the instructions on the form carefully and make sure you're in compliance with Canada's firearms transport laws and you'll be fine.
  12. fishingAK14 Member

The Last Frontier
    Like many of us, I have had my gun for quite awhile and it was acquired in a trade with a biddy of mine. Do you know if it needs to be registered to my name when I cross the boarder, or does that even matter with a rifle?
  13. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    There's no such thing as gun registration in this state, so no.
  14. Whitewater New Member

Sequim Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    All the important stuff is here on the US gov't web site, scroll down and there is a link to the Canadian site.
    There are forms to fill out, a fee to pay, and possible inspection. Since they have the power to seize your
    guns, it's best to do it their way.

The world has changed, guess transporting is not as easy or as it used to be.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html
  15. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,036 / 1
    When I was a kid we used to up to Ontario for fishing. My dad would pack along a .22 revolver. The Canadian customs agent would place it in a bag and my dad was on the honor system to not open the bag until he returned to the U.S. Yes, things have changed.
  16. fishingAK14 Member

The Last Frontier
    Wow, they have changed indeed.
  17. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +797 / 1
    Yup, you can thank 9/11 and the war on drugs. Those two things have ramped up the police state on both sides. Add immigration to the mix and both sides have pissed each other off to the point where there is no trust and friendship any more. Canadian Immigration has my juvenile record (1969 pre computers) which in the States has been expunged. They hassled me a few years ago when we landed in Tenino. Piss on 'em, I'll spend my money in the States.
  18. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +240 / 0
    Wearing my camo while crossing the border, gets me into the little room on the Canadian side.

IF you take one of your guns into Canada I would not be very attached to it since they probably will not give it back!1
  19. sourdoughsmitty Member

cashmere,wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    after almost 40 yrs in and out of alaska you have 2 choices download the permit online and pay the fee at the border or if you are driving the alcan the 2nd american town after beaver creek yukpon is tok junction, mail it there toYOURSELF and pick it up there cheaper than the permit in canada. you can drive through canada with ammo just make sure you tell them about it at the border . I always resupplied"outside" so it was common for me have it in my gear . ABSOLUTELY NO HANDGUNS!!!! I believe the late fred bear was one of the few granted a handgunn permit as he was bowhunting dangerous game at the time. I truly envy you going back inside it will be annother year before i caan head back have a good trip stay safe practice your canadian ==="EH" SMITTY
  20. fishingAK14 Member

The Last Frontier
    Had no problems with taking the gun through Canada. I payed the $25 at the boarder and was able to take it up the ALCAN in my possession. My dad and I had a great trip up, fishing 10+ rivers all the way through BC, Yukon, and into AK with plenty of grayling, Arctic Char, and a couple Steelhead in BC.

There is a new sub station going up in Terrence so there are big poles going up on parts of the Cassier which is a huge bummer. They are a bit of an eye sore and one of the most appealing things about the Cassier was the remoteness of the road, and the wildlife. The construction has pushed away a good deal of the wildlife in the effected areas for the time being. I hope it doesn't change much more.

Matt