dubbed bodies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jun 9, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Active Member

Yet another reason to hate technology...:D

2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I've not found a thread that doesn't flatten when spun counter clockwise.....except Uni. I like Uni for general tying but not for anything that needs the thread flattened. Of course if you have digital clocks like Gene and Bill you have to think a little bit before you start spinning.:)

3. Trevor Hutton

Trevor Hutton New Member

How does splitting compare in terms of speed and ease with creating a dubbing loop? I use loops a lot, but have never done any split thread stuff.

4. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Tag - to follow post. Just figured out my old username and password for the site. Been off here a few years, but I'm back. Good to see a lot of familiar names still on the forum!

5. psycho

psycho Active Member

Dubbing loops do not work very well on small bodies or sparse bodies. Dubbing loops have their place as does all tying technique at one place or another. I use a lot of split thread dubbed bodies.

6. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Big bushy fly, dubbing loop.... small fly, split thread, it makes a much smaller and finer body and isn't any harder or slower when you get it down. It's good to know both ways.