Dutch Oven Scalloped Potatoes

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by David Prutsman, May 20, 2013.

1. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

I am definitely going to try this out on the guys at hunting camp this year!

2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

OK, this guys' definitely got the "white chef's hat" star of the day! That might just go well with the venison Oscar I make for elk camp, along with a good Bordeaux!

3. David Prutsman

Damn skippy! I just might heat up the dutch oven this weekend to give this a go; elk camp is still too far off in the future.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  4. Porter

Porter Active Member

YUMMY!!!

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

He has some good videos. Too bad he hasn't updated in a year.

6. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I tried this last week. Worked out very well. Love the black pots. Have used the 12" three times since.

7. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

If he threw some hot coals on the top of that Dutch he could avoid the whole blowtorch thing.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  8. David Prutsman

I noticed that as well, but it looks like he's using a dutch oven design which is typically used for hanging with a tripod when cooking beans or stews. If you notice, the rounded lid makes it inconvenient to stack coals on top and the lack of legs on the bottom will not allow for adequate air movement underneath. That is probably why he has his oven drowning in the fire; still looks amazing though!