Eastern Wa pheasants

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Bob Rankin, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    Went out with my GSP Maggie pheasant hunting for a few day. Monday was real windy
    And it was hard hunting. We ended up with 2 birds. One bird I hit at 45 to 50 yards
    It hit the ground running. Maggie locked that runner down after a hundred yard chase
    In 30 mph winds. Tuesday was a beautiful day and cold. We must have hiked 10 miles
    For 3 birds. I couldn't be happier with my dog, both of us are having a
    Hard time walking because we are so sore! All in all nothing better than walking
    Some beautiful country with my shotgun and my dog! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    You did good, two birds on any windy day is damn good. Three birds on any day is damn
    Blake Harmon and rankin76 like this.
  3. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Bird numbers way down! All the farmer's seem to think so to. We hiked our butts off, I have blisters to show for it! We hunted hard!
  4. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +184 / 6
    That super, getting birds in the wind is tough.
    rankin76 likes this.
  5. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    Good for Maggie!
    rankin76 likes this.
  6. ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Port Gamble WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    It does seem the numbers are down, nice work on them birds!
    rankin76 likes this.
  7. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    Nice pack.
  8. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +706 / 0
    Way to go, Bob! I've been working so much time the last couple weeks that Hank isn't even talking to me . . .
  9. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Jim

He will forgive you the second you hit the field.
    Happy hunting!
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,036 / 1
    Was this near where we dove hunted??
  11. Harry Richardson New Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    That looks awesome! Quick question about pheasant hunting, since I have never done it...I do not currently own a dog but really want to get out and try this, and recommendations or tips for hunting with no dog?
  12. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Yes it was the same area Bill. And Harry pheasant hunting is hard without a dog, but can be done. If you think you won't to start, then by god you should! A dog just makes it that much better.
    constructeur likes this.
  13. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +783 / 0

In college a friend and I would walk together and flush them. It can be done :)

I think, if I am honest, I was more or less the surrogate dog.
  14. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +706 / 0
    Walk slowly, stop often. Use terrain features as blockers . . . roads/trails, ground bare of cover, etc. Push the birds toward an area where they'll have to flush. Mark downed birds well & don't hesitate to take a follow-up shot; you'll rarely catch-up with a cripple on-foot. Good luck!
    rankin76 likes this.
  15. NDflyfisher Member

North Dakota
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    This made me laugh. I've been there. If bird numbers are that low it can be done without a dog but you need to be real dedicated and a good shot.

Nice pictures. The 1st pic looks just like central ND. But we wouldn't be walking far for 3 birds.
    rankin76 likes this.
  16. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +783 / 0

Yeah, in college we hunted a couple of places where we could flush 20-30 at a time. The were balled up in brushy draws in the snow. Made for pretty easy shooting. I actually walked down the draw while he sat on top and shot what popped out. Not a method I recommend, but hell, it was college.
  17. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    We'll put Jim. Walk slow stop a lot and push birds to spot we're they don't have a choice but to fly. Look for brushy draws with water and trees. Water is key. I used to fill my pockets with rocks when quail hunting, to toss in the bush's before I got a dog. I also used to send my brother and cousin through the thick stuff while I waited on the out her side. They got wise to that quick! Once you get out and start doing it you will come up with a system that works for you. It's all about getting out and doing it!
  18. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    There is nothing that takes hunting up to the next level like hunting behind a good, hard working dog. I imagine these are wild birds that have the savvy of hatching and growing in a dangerous world which makes them wary and difficult to pin down. High winds add to the challenge by making the birds nervous, their scent more challenging, and shooting difficult.

Congrats and well done.
    rankin76 likes this.
  19. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA

Uptown

All wild birds! Maggie would push them 500 to 600 yards before they would hold. The day after the wind they didn't won't to fly just run! And thanks! I love a good bird dog!
  20. Harry Richardson New Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    Thanks for the info! Hopefully will head out East and give all this a shot soon. Sorry for the late response, been traveling and fishing in BC!