Eastside streams

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by steve, Apr 13, 2002.

1. steve New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I got out the Gazzeter yesterday and i was looking at some of the streams in Eastern Washington. According to the map Rocky Ford dumps into Mosses Lake. Is this true, and is it fishable? Also, It looks like Highway 28 out of Soap Lake crosses Crab Creek in a few spots. Is there any access in this area? I'm just curious. I realize these might be secret and sacred spots, so I don't blame you if don't want to share any info. I only thought I'd ask since they are on the map. Thanks for any help or info.
    -Steve
  2. Kaari White Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Unless you're fishing for carp, the lower stretches of rocky ford are not worth the effort. I tried it once where it crosses the freeway, never saw a trout. always seems to be a couple people out there, so maybe there are trout out there?
  3. Woollyworm New Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Yes, Rocky Ford dumps into Moses Lake. The creek is certainly fishable, and it's where half to population of the state is fishing right now. It's fly-only water, strictly c & r, and holds huge numbers of 20-plus-inch fish. Tempt their tummies with olive scuds and Pheasant tails. If those patterns don't work, try stripping Olive Leeches.

If you're asking about Moses Lake itself, I think it's full of warmwater species.

Crab is supposed to have trout in some areas. It's a long sucker and not all stretches are productive. I've only scouted one spot near where you mention and it looked like a muddy ditch, so I didn't bother wetting a line there.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
    cheers,
    ww
  4. steve New Member

Thanks for the info. I've fished Rocky Ford Creek a number of times in the popular sections, but I was curious about the other parts of it. I might try for carp in the lower section of RF. I've heard they're a blast on a fly rod.