Echo 3 opinions? Other 4wt recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by greenomics, Sep 8, 2013.

1. greenomics

greenomics Member

I'm looking for a 8'6" 4wt to add to my quiver. I already have an 8' 3wt to throw dry flies on small streams and a 9' 5wt as an all-arounder and guest rod. Both are Redington CTs.

I mostly fish small and medium sized streams. I'd like this rod to throw dry flies and also hopper/dropper and smaller dual nymph setups. I've seen some good deals on the Echo 3 recently, but there is a paucity of reviews for it.

I'm also open to recommendations for medium-fast and fast action rods in the $200 price range.

Thanks.

2. Skyler Evans

Skyler Evans Active Member

If you look around and like the CT's you can get what your looking for for around $100

3. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

I cast the TFO BVK recently (4 wt, 8.5 ft). It's a fast rod and I liked it. Retails for $225. If I found a deal I might buy it.

4. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    While 8'6" 4wt logically seems like halfway between 8' 3wt and 9' 5wt, I think a 9' 4wt does all the small stream stuff an 8' 6" does, and casts dries for distance, mends, and nymphs better. A few more low-mid range rods to try if you get a chance: Loop Xact, Greys XF2 Streamflex, Winston VSL/Passport, Sage Flight etc.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Try a TFO Finesse rod. They come in many sizes.

6. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

7. greenomics

greenomics Member

Thanks for the responses. While I do like my CTs, I was looking for something a tad faster.

The Echo 3 caught my eye because it is on discount right now and scored well in the 4 weight shootout. Admittedly that was the 7'10" model and there were complaints of it being too stiff for short casts.

8. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I got my 8'6 4wt BVK for 112.00 smackers at cabelas the other day. They are closing them out.

9. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

I saw your post on the BVK closeout. Called Cabelas and they denied a sale. It's too far away for me to drive just to find out for sure. But yeah, I'd be all over it for $112.

10. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

FWIW, I threw a 8' 4wt Steffen yesterday. Would quickly reach a most favored stattus. Most folks that swing both ways (glass & graphite) would agree that a glass rod should be a bit shorter than graphite in a given weight. Do yourself a favor and wiggle one.

11. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    That is wierd. Heck that almost pisses me off that they would play that game to other people.

12. greenomics

greenomics Member

Decided to go with a 8'6" Redington CPX that was on steep discount. I've seen mixed reviews on the CPX, but it seems to cast fine so far on the grass.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  13. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    In my opinion the Sage Z-Axis 4wt is the best fly rod ever made. I've had mine since they were brand new and fish it whenever I possibly can. It's got good backbone for when you need it, but has a sensitive feel so even small fish are fun. I'm actually thinking about trying to find another one as a backup because I dig it so much. Not sure you can find one to fit your price range, but it'd be worth searching. Let me know what you find ;)

14. greenomics

greenomics Member

Also picked up a older Sage RPL 490-4 for the heck of it. We'll see who reigns superior on the water.