Echo reels

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by FFK, Aug 14, 2014.

1. FFK

FFK Member

Media:
    Has any one tried Theese? I'm thinking about updating my primary reel. Right now I'm using an old D.A.M quick 55 witch is probably older then me. Its a good reel, and I don't necessarily need the upgrade but I feel like something fresh you know?
    At such a low price for the echo ion I'm kinda worried about quality control? Are they a good reel? Or should I just spend the 50 bucks more and buy something a little nicer?

2. TK-421

TK-421 Banned or Parked

I would look at something from http://www.allenflyfishing.com/reels/

They are a site sponsor (even though Rajeff is as well) and have a stupendous warranty

3. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:

Your gonna run into a lot of mixed opinions on this subject. Therefore, I will not give mine because it is irrelevant. My best advise for you is to trust your instincts and go with the reel that you have a good feeling about.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I have three of his reels. Service is second to no one. I wouldn't get rid of these reels. I feel like I should get another one to replace my 5wt Adventure 5.

5. wisconsin_fly

wisconsin_fly New Member

I have an Ion for a 5 wt fiberglass stick. While I can't comment on the longevity of the reel since I have only had it a few months, it has done well so far and seems to be ok. The foot cleat is a little thick so that could be a thing depending on how you like your reels to sit in the seat.

6. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    The ion is a fine reel but I view it as budget reel for someone who doesn't already have a reel. If your current reel is still doing the job I can't say an ion is going to do it any better.

7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Spend the extra fifty and get a Lamson Konic or one of the Allen reels mentioned above.

rwbailey05, Sawyer and Bruce Baker like this.
  8. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    What are you fishing for? I like click pawl reels myself, but if you want something fresh, you could check out the Redington Drift. People seem to like them, and they look like nice reels. Similar in price to the Ion, I think.

nailbender likes this.
  9. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I just looked up the D.A.M. Quick 55, and it looks amazing! Like an orange Medalist. It seems like a reel worth sticking with unless it needs parts (good luck with that!).

All of the reels mentioned are fantastic at the $100-150 range, and I'm just going to throw the Sage 2250 and Greys GX500/700 into the pile.

Steve Unwin likes this.
  10. Cold

Cold Member

Important questions to ask yourself (and answer for us):

What are you using it for? (Anything salty? Big angry fish? Light tippets? Proper weight to balance an older glass or grass rod?)

What kind of reel maintenance (if any) do you want to have to do? (Light rinse after salt, routine upkeep every few outings, yearly upkeep, ridden hard/put away wet?)

What does your current reel NOT do that you'd want its replacement TO do? (Benefits associated w/ larger arbors, louder/quieter, smoother/more reliable drag, lighter, more durable?)

What does your current reel do well that you absolutely want any replacement to also do well?

What are your requirements/preferences in the drag department? (I don't need a huge amount of stopping power, but the drag on my reels had better be smoother than a baby's ass...and a wide range of adjustments on the low end is a big plus, from free-spool to a hard pull.)

In your situation, it'd be very easy to spend the money and end up with a reel you don't really like very much better than what you have, so it's important to do your homework. Personally, when I think about fly reels, they're one of those thing with a bang-for-buck bell curve with a peak somewhere in the 200-250 range. Just about any reel under $100, and IMHO it's a waste of money unless you have no reel to begin with. from $100 to $200 you get a lot for your money and your options open up drastically as you move from the low to the high end of that range. From $200-250 I think you hit the cream of the crop, paying for performance and quality. $250-350 is either a little vanity for a freshwater reel, or you need something to stand up to regular salt use...and anything much over $350 is starting to see diminishing returns.

11. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

One of the big mistakes a lot of guys make is buying a number of reels from different manufacturers and ending up with a hodgepodge of equipment that has no interchangeability and often no spare spools for the reel you want to use.

In your case it sounds like you are fairly new at buying reels so you have a good opportunity to do things right from the get-go. Whatever you buy be sure that spools are available at a reasonable price, lots of lines are far more important than lots of reels. To give you an example, for my Stillwater fishing I have 3 identical reel bodies and 12 spools for them. They all work nicely on my 4-5-6wt rods and give me a terrific choice of lines for whatever depth I am fishing at. You don't have to start out with that many of course but if you plan ahead you can pick out a decent reel then add to the family of spools as you go along. You will be amazed at how much this simplifies things as you go forward.

Of course if a guy buys reels like a girl buys new shoes this theory won't work at all.

Ive

Kyle Smith likes this.
  12. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    This is why I love cassette reels. The Hardy Ultralite, GX700 etc. Come with 3 or 4 spools, and additional spools are only $10-20. And the spools have no handle and weigh nothing, so they slip into a vest pocket nice and easy. These reels have turned me into quite the line-whore.

13. chief

chief Active Member

I agree. I don't take it to quite that extreme of consistancy, but for stillwater I have 2 of the same reels with 2-3 extra spools for each rod weight I use. So between my 4wt, 5wt and 6wt I have around 6 reels (2 each from 3 manufacturers) and an additional 6 spools with various line types and weights that I can mix and match.

14. FFK

FFK Member

Media:
    so those allen trout ii reels seem to fit the ticket.