Echo3 switch vs. Echo SR

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Jun 5, 2013.

1. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

I've finally decided to get a switch rod. I was all set on buying a 7wt Echo SR, until I was offered a good deal on a 7wt Echo3 switch. With the discount, cost on a new Echo3 is still more than the SR. The primary use for this rod will be swinging for summerruns and I already have an Ambush line for it.
    Thoughts? Experiences? Does one cast single handed better than the other?

2. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

I have a 7 wt SR and have only heard about the 3 switch.... the 3 should be much lighter which in my opinion would be nice for single handed casting. Isn't the 3 a bit longer too? Nice for skagit/spey casting if it has some more length but maybe not quite as perfect for overhand work.

If you got a smoking deal on a 3 though, I'd take it just based off some good reviews from people I trust.

3. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    The E3 is one of the sweetest sticks I have had the pleasure to cast. The rep let us take a couple rods on a Wenatchee trip this last season, and they didn't disappoint. I love the SR, but the E3 takes it up multiple notches. If It were me, I would spend the extra couple bucks on the 3. Just my opinion...

aplTyler likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I have heard that the E3's are really quite nice. I have heard both good and subpar reviews on the SR.

Though take this post with a grain of salt as it is just based on stuff I read during my own search for a switch. I have no experience with either rod.

5. cuponoodle breakfast

It's possible I'll kick myself later, but I called and just went with the SR. I didn't hesitate to choose that one from the rods in my price range and only considered the 3 after being offered the deal.
    The 3 is 2" longer and supposed to be faster.

6. cuponoodle breakfast

I had my new SR out for the first time today. This was my first time doing any kind of spey casting with a rod designed for it. My only other spey experience has been done with a single hand 8wt recently. No complaints, except that I lost the one steelhead I hooked. My casting is OK but could definitely be more consistent. I do have a pretty nice welt on the back of my arm from when I whacked myself at the end of the day. It wouldn't have been so bad without the dumbbell eyes.