Eddie Bauer gets back in the fishing business

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Whitey, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    This industry is tough. The guys that make it are in it for the long haul and above all else, passionate about our sport. The line looks like Gucci jackets, Simms shirts, and fishpond bags. Time will tell.......
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    I remember attending a meeting where Roderick Haig-Brown was the featured speaker. He talked about his introductory exploration of Deer Creek and mentioned visiting Eddie Bauer's store in downtown Seattle, long before it offered pink women's underwear for sale. EB still sold a fair amount of hunting and fishing gear in the 1970s.

Sg
  3. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ahhhh, the good ol' days of Eddie Bauer.

They seemed to lose their way in the early 90's.

Seems like the new stuff is legit, i always hoped they would get back to their roots.
  4. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Still have a Eddie Bauer plaid shirt that I bought back in Ontario in the early 90's. Never thought I would move to Seattle back then. The shirt looks great even now, maybe better than the day I bought it. My teenage daughter always wears in on "grunge days" at school. Authentic. If they can get the quality right, that never goes out of style.
  5. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +583 / 0
    Makes me think of my fathers old Eddie Bauer edition Ford Bronco.
    Porter likes this.
  6. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    I had one of those!!
  7. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +740 / 0
    EB (the man) was pretty cool. Even if he did bring the puffy jacket to the NW.
  8. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +161 / 0
    Pretty sure Andrew Bennett landed there after the Deneki sale.
  9. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    You would be correct.
  10. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    Back to their roots, eh? One of my old fishing friends had an Eddie Bauer-branded Lamson reel, one of their early models with a peculiar caliper-type disk drag. I recall going into their flagship store in downtown Seattle back before I got back into fishing in the 1990s. I still remember it as being one of the more exotic shops I've ever seen.

K
  11. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Back in either the late 80's or early 90's we had a sales contest at work. You won tickets that were similar to lotto scratch tickets.
    I ended up winning a $1,000 EB gift certificate on one of the tickets. Needless to say I didn't visit any other fly shops for awhile after that.
    SF
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  12. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +820 / 0
    Sounds like a smart business move; Orvis makes so much profit from the clothing side of the house, EB's looking for a piece of that pie.

Regards,
    Scott
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Wow! That's back when $1,000 was really worth something.

K
    Stonefish likes this.
  14. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    Back before flyshops in the south end EB was where I'd go to get tying stuff.
  15. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0

Units are tiny. There is little money to be made there. It is a brand positioning strategy.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  16. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Marty's exactly right about perception and brand positioning. Before any more folks pile on the Let's All Bash Orvis bus, take a hard look at your own favorite independent fly shop. Chance are excellent that they also sell apparel like pastel nylon shirts for $85. They'd probably sell even more if there was that much margin or volume to be had.

K
  17. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    I miss Warshalls. Wasn't really much of a fly shop but being on first ave, the guns, the heads on the wall, the creaky wood and even John Wayne was filmed there for McQ. I also miss REI when it was up on Cap Hill. But a true fly shop is as priceless as a nice old used book store.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  18. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +820 / 0

Wasn't bashing Orvis. Just thinking that they don't need to sink as much into R&D on clothing as they, or whoever they contract, would to bend graphite/machine aluminum. My apologies if I'm operating under a false pretense.

Regards,
    Scott
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  19. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    Me too. I worked close by and remember visiting with Dan Lamaich at the store.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  20. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out Scott. That certainly wasn't my intention. My comment was simply intended as a pre-emptive strike to ward off those who post the same snarky anti-Orvis comments over and over. To the best of my limited recall, you're not one of them.

Despite a century and a half of contributions to our sport, Orvis remains a target for everyone who likes to attack what they see as the 'snobbish' side of flyfishing with images of pipe-smoking 'sports' wearing tweed jackets with elbow patches. Orvis has a rich history of catering to both flyfishermen and wing shooters - sports whose gear costs alone make them accessible primarily to folks with above-average disposable incomes. If you can afford a $900 fly rod or a $1800 shotgun, why not a $100 sweater?

Nonetheless, some among us who don't blink an eye at the price of Sage rods or Simms waders continue to bash Orvis as elitist and overpriced. Seems to me that those whose hackles rise at the thought of tweeds and cane rods might feel more at home flipping crank baits to walleye or bass with cheap rods and level wind reels while wearing a Lady Antebellum wife beater and a Dale Earnhart hat.

Just sayin'.

K
    rory likes this.