Elwha River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by lw, Aug 30, 2001.

1. lw

lw New Member

I am headed to the Elwha River over the holiday, and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I've been once, and hiked about as far as Humes Ranch. I read in a book that the best fishing was from 12 to 22 miles on the trail. Anyone have any experience on this trail? I'm not sure I can hike that far since I won't be wilderness camping.

I plan to use Parchute Adams, Elk hair caddis, and various humpy's for dries (sizes 12-18), and prince nymphs. Does that sound about right?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chris Adams

Chris Adams New Member

I was up there last weekend, just after the big rain. Prince nymphs worked real well during the afternoon, and in the early evening a green humpy was working well. If your not camping, it will be a long day to get 10-12 miles in and out again.

Chris

3. lw

lw New Member

Thanks Chris.

The trail runs next to the river up to humes ranch, and then it looks like it goes away from the river for another 6 miles before joining again. Is that just the way the map is, or can I access the river pretty much where I want?

Sounds like my fly selection will work out. I bought some green humpies, too.

Did you hike in, or were you fishing the area around Elwha campground? I hear that can be fairly productive.

4. Chris Adams

Chris Adams New Member

After Humes Ranch, Mary's Falls is the first place the trail meets the river. I believe that is about 6 miles from the trail head. The next spot is Canyon Camp at about 10 miles in. It can be pretty rough leaving the trail to gain access to the river. There are many canyons with steep trecherous sloops. The trail is pretty good and not too many steep inclines. Without a heavy pack it should go quick. I only fished Canyon Camp and above, I can't answer about the fishing below.

Chris