epoxy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jditto, Jul 29, 2002.

1. ok ladies and gents. this week-end i was trying to epoxy the backs of some copper-johns. but the resin just sank in to the peacock herl and didnt make that nice rounded back. anybody have any ideas how to make it really pretty? jer

2. Make sure you turn the fly upside-down in the vise. That way the epoxy sticks to the body, but sags away from the thorax, creating a rounded top.

3. Jditto,
    Try using a different material then peacock. The peacock looks great but will absorb the epoxy to much. I believe Andy Burk originated that pattern. I read an article recently and he uses bug skin rather the peacock. Turkey would also work. The epoxy then creates the nice rounded bubble effect you are looking for on back with absorbing into the material.
    Good Luck,
    Brian

4. cool, thanks, i'll have a go at it! jer

5. Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Forget fooling with the Epoxy! Pain in the THORAX,if you know what I mean. Get a package of SCINTILLA spinner wing film. Has a very carbonated,reflective look and is very tough. Works BETTER than Epoxy for getting that carbonated bubble look. Use it for wingcases on anything for a neat variation.