Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Escape winter to Christmas Island

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  muknuk 
#1 ·
Even though I spent 30 years battling the Alaskan winters I now find myself struggling with Washington's winters. After cashing in some Alaska Air miles I am looking for a warm place that is affordable. Christmas Island fits those criteria perfectly. Great accommodations, good food, culturally inspiring, 1/1 guides and fishing for 7 days all for the cost of hiring a guide for 2 days on the Kispiox River. Bones and Giant Trevally are what is most commonly found on the flats . With my Helio 8 and 12 wt and my ninja outfit I am ready to warm my soul and experience a new world. Fishing was good to excellent for the time I was there. Bones to 8lbs and Giant Trevally to 60lbs.

See less See more
#11 ·
Take me with you.. :) Seriously, learn the double haul if you don't already know it and be able to cast 70' in the wind accurately! This would be the same for any bluewater trip.. and do a search for all the threads on Christmas Island, search for Mingo's posts from Hawaii and read Young's blog on his trip for bones down in El Pescador.. good starting point at least!

#13 ·
Talk with Anil down at Puget Sound Fly in Tacoma... I know he's been there. Leland at Orvis too as he's done many bluewater trips! Not to Christmas island though.. He's out fishing now though.

Have you watched Chasing Silver? Its about tarpon but put it on your list if you haven't seen it;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.