Explain it to me like I'm 5: Picnic Point

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Fairways_and_Greens, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Fairways_and_Greens

Fairways_and_Greens Member

Hello all. I'm just started fishing for sea run cuts. I live near Picnic Point. What do I need to do to go down Picnic Point and not just practice my casting?

Patrick Gould and Bob Triggs like this.
  2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:

"Luck"

astrofisher likes this.
  3. Porter

Porter Active Member

PP is basically PeePee but there are those days but few and far between.......:(...

4. Fairways_and_Greens

Thanks for the insight. Is this what I would get all day if I hired you as a guide?

weirdwindknot and Bob Triggs like this.
  5. Fairways_and_Greens

Is there better places nearby? Shipwreck perhaps?

6. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Have someone help you use the search function on this website. Bob Triggs answered your query in a no-nonsense and time saving way, no need to throw a fit to a man who has put nearly 4000 posts on the board. Try looking up the numerous posts he has on fishing for the Sea Run Cutts. Or maybe have someone drive you over to Orvis Bellevue or puget Sound Fly Co to see about attending the sea-run cutts fishing class. You will need patience, a means of travel, big boy waders and a warm hat when you go on your adventures. You should tell people where you are going, and watch out for the weird people from the Eastside and Gig Harbor. (They are very pale and in general will not look you in the eye on the eastside and in Gig Harbor they smile a lot in a way that may suggest beneficent alien probings or just a really good water supply.) A good beach for searuns has boulders and baseball sized rocks covered in barnacles as far as the eye can see, with a nice current moving along, preferably broken up now and then by points, trees, boulders and so on. If there is sand, you may want to build a sand castle, which is also cool and there ain't nothing wrong with that, but it is not so good a beach to try fishing for the Sea Run Cutts. Unless the sand suddenly meets, under a nice swirling current, a mile long stretch of fist sized rocks covered in barnacles. Think about Picnic Point, does it look like that?

7. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Like you're 5? OK :D

Step one, fish where there are fish.
    Step two, put lure/fly in front of said fish in a manner that tickles said fishes fancy.
    Step three, repeat first and second step until you begin hooking fish. If you are not hooking fish, you are breaking one of the laws.

These are "Dalan's Laws of Catching."

Sounds like the thread already has given a bit of a leg up on #1 and #2. Appears PP is a waste of time for the most part and if Boot is not completely yanking your chain, you know what to look for as far as territory. If you're trying to crack a fishery, those classes are probably a good idea, as is the search function (fro general SRC flies and reports). However, I think people are more tight lipped about hot SRC locations than they are about the location of almost any other fish.

This ain't the Drake (thank God), but you should have a thickish skin if you're questions take the form of "how do I catch fish." I think it's 100% appropriate questions, but this is the Internet and some people like to bust chops (myself included). I think most (some?) of the time it is genuinely good natured and not meant to offend.

8. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

try to fish when the tide is moving either in our out, typically about 1/2 hour after high or low tide

water that is moving at walking speed water 3 to 4 miles per hour is usually best. read les johnsons book on fishing for cutthroats, you can find it in any fly shop. Cast out from shore before entering water, often fish are in 1 to 2 feet of water, then wade in, cast 45 then 90 and then 135 degrees to shore, 2 or 3 times , then move 5 to 10 feet to the left or right and work your way down beaches until you run into an area where they are biting. In other words try and cover water unless you see seams in the current, ( and then fish those areas first ) Explore beaches at low tide an look for muscle beds, oyster beds. shallow depressions in the ground with lots of boulders, stay away from sandy beaches.

talk to local fly shops like orvis, Puget sound fly, the gig harbor fly shop.

move slow and deliberately in the water. Sea runs can get spooked like any other fish. look for birds on the water and bait fish in the shallows,such as sculpins in late summer, chum fry in the spring. sand lance in june to late summer. polychaete worms especially in the south sound.

9. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Buy Chester Allen's book!

Tony Abaloney likes this.
  10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Luck is a very good response for how generally you phrased your call for help.
    1) get a good map
    2) find some blue skinny lines that run into the large blue bodies of water
    3) fish there using the techniques written of by authors / forum members:
    Bob Triggs, Leland Miyawaki, Les Johnson, Preston, Kerry S, Stonefish, Dimebrite, Kelvin...
    4) now do your homework without getting your knickers in a twist

11. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Just completed the classroom portion of my searun school. Tomorrow we are on the water.

Leland

12. Fairways_and_Greens

Thanks the last 2/3s of your post!

Blake Harmon likes this.
  13. Fairways_and_Greens

Nice, is that a class you teach? When does it run again?

Thanks for all the good advice.

I'm a north end guy, so I'll give Pacific Fly Fishers a shot. I got Les' book on the way. I'll start hitting the coastline at low tide to scout it out. Is the season essentially over now in the Edmonds area?

14. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Amazing how many people refer to fishing as "casting Practice". Buy a bunch of high end gear. And then after you find out that fishing is not for you, put it all up for sale at a third of the price.

15. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I think you should just keep fishing the same shitty beach with high expectations. Wanting the fish to be there is really all it takes after all. You must not be wanting hard enough.

Besides, its not like Triggs knows anything about that fishery. Nope, not a thing.

Some people's kids.... Jesus.

Jason Rolfe and Rob Hardman like this.
  16. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Hey, shutup you're going to scare them all away. How do you think I get all my gear. I cannot afford full retail!

:D

Bob Triggs, cabezon and Alexander like this.
  17. Fairways_and_Greens

Wow, I throw a tongue in cheek comment out there and you read that much into it. Settle down, it's just fishing talk on the Internet...

18. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:

Haha says the guy who PMed me before typing this to accuse me of being fake and raised without manners. Nice move. You're gonna fit right in round these parts.

19. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Fish Picnic Point on an outgoing tide. Right now you might hook a nice silver so put on stout tippet. Clousers will work, not super big. Dehlia's squid will work for cutts. If you really want to catch cutts in the salt, travel down to MA-13 and fish the state parks. October is the best for cutts in MA-13.

bramwessel likes this.
  20. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Books, classes, internet forums etc will help cut down your learning curve, but nothing beats time on the water.
    Fish every opportunity you have and keep notes of the tides, weather, fly patterns used etc.
    You'll soon start to see successful fishing patterns develop.
    Good luck,
    SF