Explain it to me like I'm 5: Picnic Point

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Fairways_and_Greens, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Fairways_and_Greens

Fairways_and_Greens Member

Awesome, thanks DimeBright. So to fish an outgoing tide, I should get there about an hour after high tide? Specific to Picnic Point, should I go north or south of the stream? I have no problem walking a ways.

For Dehlia's squid, do you use a weighted head? What colors do you use?

Here are some of the flies I've tied for cutts. Are any of them even close to working at PP?
    [​IMG]

Thanks Stonefish. I just got Les Johnson's book and Chester Allen's is on the way. I was hoping to use Picnic Point since it's so close. I seem to be catching a lot of flak for it, but I can get lot of time on the water since I can fish it after work.

2. Paul Potter

Paul Potter Member

I fished Picnic about once a week in July & August when I had only an hour or two free, mostly to work on improving my casting under live conditions. There is the occasional sea run to be had, but as Porter says they are few and far between. It is more of a salmon beach when the runs are on, particularly pinks. Go to a South Sound public beach for sea runs.

3. Fairways_and_Greens

I'm mainly going down there to practice anyways. All my experience is in mountain streams, so it's totally a new world. When you go down there, what side of the beach to you head to? How do you work it? Do you wade far out? If you had to choose between a 8' 6" Zenith 5wt and a 9' 6" TFO BVk 7wt, which would you take?

Is July and August the only time of year that it's productive?

Sorry for the million questions!

4. Paul Potter

Paul Potter Member

Watch the breeding pair of ospreys. They will tell you whether to go north or south. And if they are not around, well they're telling you something...

5. Fairways_and_Greens

LOL, is this the fly fishing equivalent to snipe hunting?

6. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

The action will be shifting to the Southsound soon and Picnic Point will then be a good place to practice casting. But then I've always thought that practice casting over fish was a lot more fun

Leland

FlyGuy360 likes this.
  7. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

There's lots of great information posted on this thread and I hope it helps you to have some fish to hand.

OTOH, some of my best days have been when I didn't experience any line tugs at all!

Taking a lunch-break, sitting on a log on a lonely beach, even without any fish grabbin' the fly after several hours of "casting practice", is IMHO a very good place to be!

Just my 2ยข

8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    PM sent.

Use a 6wt for cutts and smaller salmon. 7 or 8 wt for bigger salmon

9. Paul Potter

Paul Potter Member

LOL, I sometimes think the same!

So,

Use the 5 wt with a floating line for shallow beaches like Picnic.

Do not step into the water (at first). Cast up and down the near shoreline and then in a fan pattern into the deeper water. Sea runs like to hang right along the shoreline.

Once you are sure there are none along the shore, move into the water but not more than knee deep. Repeat fan pattern.

Use a baitfish pattern; ask a fly shop for a recommendation. Buy only two, until you either lose them or have confidence in them (catch fish).

At Picnic, start at the steam inflow.

Read Chester's book; take Leland's next beach class (I don't think Pacific has one until Spring).

Bob, Leland, DimeBrite, Wade'n Boot, Ed, Stonefish are all part of a small number of flyfishers who fish Puget Sound beaches year-round. Read all of their posts on this site. I save them to my hard drive and re-read them when I have questions.

Get out every chance you can.

Since you'll have more questions (and you should!), I can meet you at Picnic between 8:30am next Weds. If you can't do that, propose a different time and I will check my calendar. Bring your 7wt, waders, and a floating line. It's not my favorite coho beach on the east side, but DimeBrite is right and we can talk about sea runs while targeting their big brothers.

No promises however.

10. bramwessel

bramwessel New Member

Listen to DimeBright and don't feed the trolls.

11. bramwessel

bramwessel New Member

Brite

12. Theron

Theron Active Member

My day fishing with Bob Triggs as my guide was a unique learning experience. I had read books and lots of posts on this forum before fishing with Bob but having someone point out what made a particular beach good was worth the money I spent. I will never have the knowledge of a good guide or instructor but I now know some of the things to look for. Leland's class would probably be a good start.

13. Jeff Sturm

Jeff Sturm Member

Leland's class (through Orvis in Bellevue) was well worth it and I highly recommend it; being new to the Sound, I feel like Leland gave me a pretty good foundation. I haven't had a ton of luck, but after reading both of the recommended SRC books (Chester Allen's and Les Johnson's), I think my issue was more a location deal than anything else--I was limiting myself to North Sound beaches (Golden Gardens, Picnic Point, & Mukilteo SP). Also, work has been a killer recently and I haven't had a lot of "spare" time devote to anything outside work and family.

My next order of business to is to get on Bob Triggs' calendar for a day of picking his brain. Classes and books are great (and I get a lot out of both), but I get A LOT MORE out of spending the day with a great guide...

I have a much appreciated window of opportunity today and I'm headed south to try my luck in MA-13.

14. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

Leland, do you have another class scheduled?

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

No class scheduled yet but we will have one Nov.

Leland

16. Fairways_and_Greens

Nice! It's not quite fair that Les' book shows your fly box but your popper pattern isn't in the fly section. What a tease. :cool:

17. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Last time I looked it was in both of Les' books as well as Cester Allen's and Richard Stoll's.

Miyawaki Beach Popper, Miyawaki Popper

18. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Fairways,

I've fished Picnic quite often this summer. As it has been said, fish it on an outgoing tide with stout tippet (10-15lbs) and a clouser-esque fly. I was casting at Coho there two weeks ago, they do come within casting range. Walk out to where ever puts you nearest to jumpers. There is only so much the internet can tell you about a beach; virtual fishing will not put a real fish on the end of your line, so go check it out for yourself! It's not rocket surgery.

19. Fairways_and_Greens

Trust me, I'm putting in the casts... Just trying to fish instead of cast. Your quote reminded me of this:

Irafly likes this.
  20. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Sometimes you just have to fish the closest water to your home regardless of wether there are fish in there or not. I totally get that. And then one day as you're foolin' around practicing your casts, getting ready for the time when you can hit that fishy water, you suddenly feel a big tug as you're retrieving your line for another practice cast... and it may be one of the biggest SRC's you'll ever catch...you know, that one you weren't gunning for, the one you weren't expecting... It's happened to me. This one time at band camp... no really, this one time I just had to get time in on the water after work to decompress, had to stay close to the house, had to hit a beach with more sand than rocks or shells...But a spinning rod, a cigar and some shoreline is all I needed to chill....suddenly when that unexpected SRC hit my spinner (yes, I did not even have time to get into my waders and fly fish, I broke out the spin rod and cast a blue fox type spinner for a quickie.) my eyes got wide, my rod was bent and a fight ensued...it was a monster Cut, a chunky, full of energy, football shaped beast. There went all the things I learned about where SRC don't hang out... Point is, if it's all you have near you and you gotta get out and hit it quick for a few cast, then hit it...you never know what will hit ya back. ;)

Fairways_and_Greens likes this.