F@#*ing Wind !!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 10incher, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Went out yesterday with the fly rod for the first time in a few years. There's a spot here on Whidbey where a few pen raised salmon come into a lagoon and 12" to 14" blackmouths and SRC's congregate to pick off wayward eggs. No salmon in yet, ergo no smaller fish. People look at me funny when I'm fishing these smaller fish while salmon are jumping occasionally in the lagoon but the salmon are pretty rough by the time they're in there and don't take well anyway. Oh yeah, this post has a point...

I took the 6/7wt rod but the line was toasty so I grabbed the 5wt line spool. I've cast this line on this rod before and it worked just "ok" in low wind. With the wind blowing in my face it was a real struggle. The back cast would fling back with little effort and a nice tight loop. But the forward cast would pile. Even on shorter casts the leader would fail to turn. So I was trying everything... Side arm for a lower profile, Hauling and double hauling, driving for a lower turn over height, etc. Just whipping the water frothy and basically feeling like a rusty duffer while exacerbating my tennis elbow. I'm tossing that old line. I'm going with a new 6wt (possibly a 7wt) shooter this weekend. And I'm bringing the spinning gear in case the wind is up.

2. Ah yes... wind... the arch enemy of the fly caster.

3. Wind is part of the salt game.....as is seaweed.
    If you fish the salt enough, you'll have several beach options you can hit depending on the wind direction.
    Our prevailing wind in the summer is north to northwest. Get used to it.
    SF

4. You ought to try throwing a 3wt in the wind. That is loads of fun. Just be careful you don't hook yourself. But barbless hooks come out of skin pretty easily.

5. Frequently, the only hope is to reposition yourself so that you're casting downwind. And yes, that's often impossible.

6. I actually did hook the top of my head once when casting in the wind. But I was pretty green. You do get humble and learn how to avoid it once it actually happens. Before that you think things like "What sort of idiot actually hooks themselves doing this?"

7. Casting into the wind is hard enough with a balanced set-up. Underlining as you describe - 5wt line on a 6/7 rated rod - is a recipe for frustration. Even if the quarry is small a heavier line is a better choice. Example, you don't need an 8wt to land a 5 lb bonefish, but that is the "standard" rod employed because you typically face 10-15 mph winds on the flats. There are techniques to "cheat" the wind, high backcast low forward cast, side arm "under" the wind, which it sounds likee you employed. In general I find it counter-intuitive casting in the wind, letting the rod do the work instead of forcing a harder stroke normally achieves better results, but I think it sounds like mostly a bad line to rod combo in your situation. If anything I would overline in the wind, not underline.....

10incher likes this.
  8. 10incher (grasshopper) you must become one with the wind....as you unhook the fly from your waders, you must remember that the wind is your friend and you must contend. To admit spinning tackle is to admit defeat! You must learn to contend with your doubt and welcome the breezes of summer! Have you tried meditation?

wadin' boot, flyfool and 10incher like this.
  9. I am humbled by the sheer sobrieties of my betters!!! A mediocre life and lack of attendance to my circumstances left me with poor options to choose from. I recognized immediately the flaws! As evidenced by my acknowledgment that I would be re-assessing this situation with a proper line (and perhaps one size over). I guess taking a break from fly fishing is taking two steps backward!?! I humbly admitted my failure and ask forgiveness.

I still hate wind. Always have. Even before I took up fly fishing. But the blackmouths and SRC's are in for it when I am properly lined up. Ok... I'll leave the spinning gear behind for this! I have a point to prove now. Even though I'm not sure what it is!?!

flyfool likes this.
  10. Well I lined up the above rod with a cheap wf7f (the only one I could find on Whidbey) and went out today. Same spot, same wind, but the casting went much better. I would have liked more distance but I wasn't using a shooting line and I've never been a great distance caster anyway. Caught a few SRC's. Three between seven and eight inches and one that was about thirteen. Since I had to go in the last two hours of an outgoing tide I figured to get skunked. But there is a small bay in this spot that exposes at low tide and is a popular clam bed. So I guessed that the fish might feed in the out going current seam off this bay/bed and I was right. I'm looking forward to trying the same spot on an overcast day with a larger tide swing. The fish should be larger. I may have stumbled onto something good and I've never seen anyone fishing there.

11. There you go!

Good luck.

12. I'm in Montana and the wind never, ever blows here...honest.

Old Man likes this.
  13. Screw the wind, keep fishing and hope you have a fishing buddy who is not squeamish about pulling the hook out of your chin.:eek:

14. That's why you pinch all barbs.

15. Ditto Stonefish.
    But I also agree with a salty spinning rig as a fall back, when you reach your destination and It's in your face. Have modified all my lures with single barbless stinger hooks. Haven't used it in over a year but It's worth carrying in winter.

16. I still take the spin rig to the normal places for salmon. I only fish the fly rod for pinks when it gets hot. And that hasn't happened yet. But at the place and circumstances I described above I'm sure the fly rod is the way to go. I think drifting shrimp patterns through the current seam is going to catch more and bigger fish than tugging a flashaboo or spinner through it. I actually always feel a little foolish when I fish trout with hardware. Not sure why though. I only do it when fly fishing won't work and because I like catching even more than fishing.