Favorite Fiberglass Rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Jack Devlin, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

My Hardy "Brook", 6 foot 3 weight. Very, very sweet. Reel is the Hardy Featherweight which I purchased in 1965. DSC00959.JPG
    Jack

2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

That there is Sexy! I have the LRH on the Scott.

3. Doug Lee

Doug Lee Member

I picked up an 8' two piece 5 wt made by Dave Redington's company, the South Fork Rod Company. A guy had it built and then decided he didn't want it as it was too slow for his taste. Great rod. Also fish a couple Fenwicks (807 and a 69 and a pair of Brownings for smallmouth. If I had to pick only one to keep it would be the South Fork.

4. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    I like my two Steffens...8' 5/6wt & 8'6" 7/8wt...I think my favorite of those two is the 5/6 though...it'll handle anything up to summer steelhead...

[​IMG]

5. Jack Devlin

Randall,
    Your Steffens rods look real nice. I have never seen one "in person", only looked at their website. Only hear good things about them.
    I like the color and un-sanded blanks. Will have to try one out someday.
    Jack

6. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I have one of the Steffen 8' 5/6 wts too. Bought it from someone on the Fiberglass forum. Built on an older blank dark charcoal color 3 piece with two tips. Cork reel seat with downslide ring. The Steffen and my DiamondGlass 8 ft 4wt are my go to rods for searun fishing on the Stilly. For small streams and creeks I like my Fenwick 706. Bass fishing in lakes I'll take the Silaflex 8.5 6/7 wt or the Fenwick 807.

7. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Media:
    My first reel fly rod was fiberglass, an 8’6”- 7 wt Eagle Claw that was my favorite for many years (because I didn’t know better). I couldn’t afford the (much better) Fenwick and it was many years before I tried fiberglass again. A good friend pointed me toward a 7’6” Lamiglass Spring Creek. This was and still is a great rod, smooth with a limber tip but light in hand with a nice predictable action.
    As time went by my next favorite became a Mark Steffen 2 piece 8’ 3 wt. Something about this rod is just right. Smooth progressive action, light sensitive tip with enough diameter in the butt to handle a strong fish. This is one of the best trout rods that I’ve ever handled, made by a guy who understands fly rod tapers. These rods are typically no nonsense great rods that IMHO are the best value in fly rods.
    That said, it is very possible that my newest 8’ 5 wt made by Kabuto Yasuyuki will take over the top spot. The rod has a smooth medium progressive action with elegant fit and finish.

IMG_4332.JPG IMG_4331.JPG IMG_4338.JPG

Attached Files:

Jack Devlin and Blue like this.
  8. Jack Devlin

That honey colored Kabuto is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for showing us. What reel do you use on it?
    Jack

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I agree, that Honey is beautiful. I dug out the Steffen
    [​IMG]

Thought I would share this one as well. Fenwick 5'3" 4/5
    [​IMG]

And the gold:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  10. Jack Devlin

You guys are making me crazy!
    Jack

11. fixj

fixj Member

I have a 9'6" 8/9wt 2pc Lamiglas rod built by John Propp of Spokane in 1978 for my late father in law. I have only lawn cast it, I can't be sure if it has ever been on the water as it shows no signs of use. Mr Propp must have been a prolific rod builder as this is # 118. It is dark grey, almost black. I am assuming it is fiberglass. Anyone know of Mr Propp and his fly rods?

Blue likes this.
  12. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I have not seen a 9'6" glass rod, but I guess anything is possible. It would have to be very noodlie.

13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

You don't miss having a longer rod on such big water?

14. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Not on the lower Stilly in late summer, early fall. For the most part I'm only casting 50 feet and a lot less. 40 to 50 foot casts are pretty much the max. That lower river is easy wading for the most part. In fact during back to back dry years which we haven't had for quite some time you could start at Silvana and wade down to Tom Robbs farm when down on the Norman Road. I knew one guy who claimed he could wade from Silvana down to the the bridge to warm beach. But he was a lot taller than me.

15. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Media:
    Jack,
    It seems to balance with an Abel Creek 2 standard arbor, loaded with Cortland Peach DT 5. I haven't fished the rod yet so time will tell if that's the right combination.

16. Jack Devlin

Aesthetically, I think you made an excellent choice. It fits in nicely with the hardware and wraps. I just looked at that Kabuto again. Exquisite!
    Jack

17. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Pictured are two of my favorite glass sticks. Both are 6'6" from Phillipson. The one on the left is a Johnson Profile which I bought in 1964. The slide band insert was originally cork but it got pretty beat up so I replaced it with a piece of walnut from a branch that fell into our yard. The rod on the right is a more recent purchase from maybe '91 or '92 I can't remember.

Attached Files:

18. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I like a couple of my old 6.5ft Wright & McGill Featherlights best. IMG_7799.JPG IMG_7143.jpg

19. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Dave you surely love those Featherlights. You are the unofficial spokesperson for those rods. :)

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  20. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I'll roll with my home built Lami FL904-3 (3pc 7.5ft 4wt). All cork grip and seat. Cut and polished my own seat components from aluminum tubing. I used single foot guides and there is no frivolity in the wraps. Not skimpy, but no more than needed. Because I didn't use snakes, which add rigidity to the action, the rod is a slow. It won't take an award for overhead distance but it will flip twenty five feet of DT4 line anywhere you want it to go. And it'll roll cast fifty feet and turn over a wooly bugger (not exaggerating). Just the bomb on brushy, small streams. Best of all, with careful build fits and no nonsense design the finished rod weighs only 1.85oz. I defy anyone to show me a 7.5' 4wt that light. Sorry I don't have pics. As mentioned, it's really a no nonsense rod anyway. So pics wouldn't dazzle. But on the water it's a star.