Fenwick FL 102-6

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Tyler Speir, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    This was a fun project for me. A buddy of mine found an old Finwick 102-6 4 pc glass rod that he wanted me to build for him into a saltwater stick. Used the new alps tri with the fly hood and the rest is all EVA. I really liked the way it turned out. It should be a fun rod to fish.

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk168/dquinine/Queen Bee Glass Rod/
  2. jpooh New Member

on
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    nice job on it. It looks like a fly rod going bass rod style.
  3. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    Nice job. The old fenwick glass blanks are great to cast and very strong - almost impossible to break, even when you nick the material with a rock or a hook.

Do you have any experience with the EVA grip? How does it compare to cork?

Tom
  4. LeoCreek Member

Spokane, WA, U.S..
    That should be a nice fishing rod, Tyler. It will be a sweet 6wt, with good power but will still feel nice even with small fish. Plus it will handle larger fish on light tippets very well.

I love fiberglass rods, and own quite a few, and have built several from blanks. I actually have 2 of this exact blank, which were cut into 4 sections like yours with spigot ferrules from a single piece blank. One is the full 8'6" and the other is 8', but they both were FL 102-6 blanks. I think Fenwick had the taper nailed on this one way back when.

Enjoy!
  5. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    The EVA will hold up better then cork in the salt water with less maintenance.
  6. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    Thanks. I think I'll try an EVA grip on one of my bamboo rods.

Tom
  7. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    I dont know if I would use eva on bamboo. Its up to you but I think it would take away from the feel of cane. It might not look so hot as well.
  8. Charles Craumer chuckngear

lander, wyoming
    looks like a great stick