Ferguson's Favorite Saltwater Flies

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, May 24, 2013.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    I thought I might share these with you mad saltwater fly fisherman. Quite a while ago, I won a raffle at our fly club and got these framed flies that Bruce Ferguson tied. It is dated November 2, 1994. Enjoy: Whoops, sorry for the duplicates. Ferguson\'s Sandlance Fly.jpg Ferguson\'s Herring Fly.jpg Ferguson\'s Allard & Green & Silver.jpg Ferguson\'s Sandlance Fly.jpg Ferguson\'s Herring Fly.jpg

Ferguson's Sandlance Fly
    Ferguson's Herring Fly
    Allard Yellow
    Allard Orange
    Ferguson's Green & Silver
  2. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +406 / 0
    Very nice. Bruce had no tolerance for short-striking salmon.
  3. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Like those "double hooks" do you??!!! Ha!
  4. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    Lucky! That is really cool.
  5. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +1,009 / 1
    Thanks for sharing. The May/June Northwest Fly Fishing magazine featured a very nice article on Bruce Ferguson.
    Jack
  6. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +265 / 3
    That is just awesome Larry! I haven't fished any of them besides the Ferguson Green & Silver, which works every time and always will. I need to look it up, but were the double hook flies mainly used for bucktailing?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    The Ferguson herring is money.
  8. Tom P. Tom P.

Lake Forest Park Washington
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Ferguson's Green & Silver was one of the first flies I learned to tie when I started SRC fishing in Puget Sound. It stayed dry in the box for some time as I thought other more “baitfish looking” patterns certainly had to be better than something that looked like I don’t know what. At the end of a day without a bump I put it on to see what it looked like in the water. Very first cast was a cutthroat of around 10 inches and my only fish that day. It comes out of the box a lot now.
  9. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    like the Herring fly. will add that to the box.
  10. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    I used to tie the Green & Silver on long shank hooks with the chenille in the back of the fly rather than as a "shoulder". The fish seemed to key on the chartreuse color, and putting it in the back of the fly seemed to result in more hookups.
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Thanks for sharing those, Larry!
  12. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    Thanks for sharing Larry. What's the length on the double hook flies?
  13. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Not sure about that Steve. They look easy enough to cast. I don't even know if that is legal nowadays, is it? Where is it stated in the regs...if it is? Thanks.
  14. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Those are 3 inches long constructeur. Thank you.
  15. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +894 / 1
    The Allard Beach flies in either yellow or orange are still my favorite saltwater steelhead flies.

Leland.
    dryflylarry likes this.
  16. Sterling silver Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Hey, Larry, thanks for posting this. Bruce was a friend of mine, as he was to most of the people he met. His Green and Silver was modified
    from time to time, as were other creations of his. It was always a go to fly for me. Still is.

Go fish!

Sterling
    dryflylarry likes this.
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ah, you were lucky to get to know him Paul. I had lunch with him long long ago with some other guys and wish I could have known him more. By the way, we need to get out together with you, Mark, and I.
  18. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Several years ago now, I used the Allard Fly with "hot pink" and sort of gave it my own name of the "Kilowatt Red" for sea run cutthroat. Cheating there! Ha! There were times when I had fish on almost every cast! It was killer in the fall. I only use it occasionally now, but have to get some more in my box! I use to slam it on the water, then begin a very "short" fast twitch. Fish would nail it just under the surface film within the first 5 feet or less of twitching it! Serious.
  19. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +757 / 0
    I was not familiar with Mr. Ferguson prior to this post, but he obviously is well regarded and engendered much good will and fondness. Cool flies regardless, thanks for sharing!

Dan
    dryflylarry and Jeff Dodd like this.
  20. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +332 / 0